Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 87 - Titchfield

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 86) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 86) Next page (Volume 10, Page 89) Next page (Volume 10, Page 89)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Market Hall
C.17
Titchfield's Market Hall once stood in the centre of the square. Timber-framed construction filled with close stud timber and herringbone brickwork. It had a ground floor with open arcade and an upper floor with a meeting room and open gallery. It was moved from the Square circa 1810 and repositioned behind the Queens Head Hotel. Later it was used as a cell or lock up, but by 1971 it had become totally derelict and was under a demolition order. The Market Hall was acquired by the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum and it now stands restored in the Museum at Singleton in Sussex. Grid reference locates its approximate original position. Ref: Titchfield, a History, (Titchfield History Society), pp.53-54.     SU 540 058
0707 43
Tannery
Storehouse, Church Path. This building was a former tannery, red brick with wooden louvered windows in the upper storey. Tanning continued until 1955, but no equipment now remains. SMR SU50NW39. Ref: 1. Hampshire Industrial Archaeology (SUIAG) p.12. Ref: 2. Tichfield, a History, (Titchfield History Society), pp.90-92.     SU 542 058
0707 260
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 86) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 86) Next page (Volume 10, Page 89) Next page (Volume 10, Page 89)