Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 100 - Warsash

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 99) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 99) Next page (Volume 10, Page 101) Next page (Volume 10, Page 101)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
Nos. 23/25 Lorn Villa. Two-storey Victorian house built in 1865 for the manager of the iron smelting works, the letters L.O.R.N. were stamped on the iron ingots. The house is built of red brick with white window dressings and quoins. Bay windows.     SU 494 061
0708 147
Shop and Cottage
C.19
Nos. 31 and 33. Group of Victorian buildings adding considerably to the character of Newtown Road.     SU 494 059
0708 156
House
C.19
No. 46, Hamble Bank and No. 42, Farthing House. Two and a half storeys including basement, stuccoed facade, with hipped slate roof. Four sash windows, off-centre entrance bay with round arched entrance. Additional door to north with steps.     T&CP Act
SU 493 060
0708 44
Cottages
C.18
Nos. 45 and 47. Originally single storey cob built cottages. Later the walls were faced with brick and extended to form an upper storey, which is tile hung. Tiled roof with catslide to rear. Three chimney stacks. Casement windows, one on ground floor being original. Two simple doorcases. Cottage once tenanted by the father of James Gray the noted Victorian artist.     T&CP Act
SU 494 059
0708 47
House
C.19
Greystones. Probably early C.19, two-storey brick built house, originally within its own large garden, which has now been developed. The house has a slate roof with dormer windows. Windows are both sash and casement all with small panes. In about 1870 it was Warsash's first post office, formerly known as Dingley Dell. Ref: A Short History of Warsash (Light) p.23.     SU 494 059
0708 46
Cottage
Withybank. Two storeys, old tiled roof, small casement windows. Possibly C.1 7. One of the last of original cottages of community of Newtown.     SU 494 054
0708 48
Building
C.20
School of Maritime Studies. The Cadets's Block. Rectangular five-storey building, faced with brick. Symmetrical pattern of small and large windows. First floor has three large square sided glazed projections. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW, (Pevsner and Lloyd) pp.643-644.     SU 492 053
0708 60
Building
C.20
School of Maritime Studies, Library. Ground floor is recessed, revealing concrete under-structure of the first floor. Upper storey is mostly brick faced, clerestory lighting. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW, (Pevsner and Lloyd) pp.643-644.     SU 492 053
0708 149
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 99) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 99) Next page (Volume 10, Page 101) Next page (Volume 10, Page 101)