Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 101 - Warsash

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 100) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 100) Next page (Volume 10, Page 102) Next page (Volume 10, Page 102)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.20
School of Maritime Studies, Refectory block. Built on sloping ground, two storeys at the north end. Glass-sided upper storey oversails the storey below. West facade has continuous glazing at ground level, slate faced walling above. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW, (Pevsner and Lloyd) pp.643-644.     SU 492 053
0708 148
House
Newtown Farm. Thought to be C.18 but could be older. Two storeys cob structure, colour-washed. Hipped old tile roof with very thick square chimney stack. Early C.19 casement windows with curved arches above and later shutters. Gabled porch. Small thatched barn on the boundary with Hook Park Road.     SU 492 052
0708 50
Shore Road
Building
C.19
Barclays Bank. Two storeys, built in red brick with white brick string course, sash windows, ornamental roof tiles. Originally built as a village shop and two cottages in 1886.     SU 493 062
0708 42
Building
C.20
Clock Tower and adjoining shops. Four-storey clocktower, rendered with some timbering decoration and French mansard roof. The clock originally struck ship's time. The row of shops has gabled fronts. the first floor rendered with some timbering, ground floors of brick with shop fronts. Built 1906.     SU 493 062
0708 41
House
C.20
The Haven. An Edwardian house of the Warsash Estate. Gabled roof with dormer windows, bay windows.     SU 492 062
0708 37
Cottages
Tumbleweeds and Robins Hill. One building, now two cottages, at one time four estate cottages. Two storeys built in brick, red with blue headers, old tile roof. Tumbleweeds has sash windows with small panes. Robins Hill has casements with leaded panes.     SU 492 062
0708 30
House
C.19
Warsash Court. Large Victorian house with gables and bay windows. Brick and old plain tile roof. Sash windows with small panes. Now converted into flats. Originally built for local industrialist Mr. Hills, who was the owner of the Chemical Works on the shore. Once home of General Havelock of India.     SU 492 061
0708 33
House
C.20
Stone Cottage. An Edwardian house built of stone, unusual cross shape, with tiled roof and four tall chimneys. Gables and dormers face in many different directions. Said to have been built originally for the district nurse.     SU 490 061
0708 34
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 100) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 100) Next page (Volume 10, Page 102) Next page (Volume 10, Page 102)