Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 104 - Warsash

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 103) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 103) Next volume (Volume 11, Page 1) Next volume (Volume 11, Page 1)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
No. 9, Shore Road. Originally a chapel, the first non-conformist chapel in Warsash, built very early in C.19. James Gray, the Victorian painter, was a Sunday School scholar here in 1818. Now a Doctor's Surgery. Ref: A Short History of Warsash (Light) p.3.     SU 493 061
0708 155
Road
New Road. Joining Fleet End Road to Church Road. Built in 1906 as the first direct link between Fleet End and the church and school. A comment from the Rev Lloyd in the Parish Magazine at the time states 'Now . a new road is being constructed from the Vicarage to Fleet End. This has to be taken across a deep gulley and will be a triumph of local engineering. The final result will be that our parishioners in both directions, at Newtown and Fleet End, will be much nearer the church than they have ever been before'. Ref: Parish Magazine, April 1906.     SU 503 058
0708 100
Road
Moor Hill. Joining Church Road and Hook Park, so named because it crossed the 'Moor' and was the main drive to The Hook, the Hornby family mansion. Church Road was originally the first part of this drive, Hook Lake was not bridged until later, so Moor Hill was the first direct link between Hook and Warsash.     SU 501 053
0708 102
Road
Lower Shore Road. Originally known as Man-of-War road. Route to Parson's Napoleonic wars shipyard on Warsash shore. Ref: Ships of British Oak (Holland).     SU 491 061
0708 157
Ferry Hard
Warsash Shore. North of Warsash Hard and present Warsash Boat centre. At one time may have been sited a little further up river. John Leland, Samuel Pepys and many others used this ferry, which still provides a much-used link with Hamble.     SU 488 064
0708 67
lcehouse
C.19
Hook Park Road. The remains of the icehouse for the Hook Estate lie to the south-east of the bridge over Hook lake. in the C.18 and C.19 many large estates had icehouses in their grounds, to provide ice throughout the year. Icehouses were brick lined conical pits with a domed roof above ground which was covered with earth and grassed over. Entry was via a passage which contained two or more doors. The Hook icehouse is over eight ft. deep and nearly eleven ft. in diameter. Ice cut from Hook Lake would keep for up to a year packed in the icehouse. Ref: Ice and Icehouses through the Ages (Ellis).     SU 495 051
0708 112
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 103) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 103) Next volume (Volume 11, Page 1) Next volume (Volume 11, Page 1)