Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 18 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 17) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 17) Next page (Volume 11, Page 19) Next page (Volume 11, Page 19)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
Town Station. Built 1866, red and yellow brick with stucco dressing. Flat roof with central turret and two side turrets with windows. Windows on ground floor and in turrets have stone semi-circular arches, first floor windows have cambered arches. Two central doorways with double wooden doors with glazed panels, and semi-circular fanlights over. Wrought iron verandah with sloping roof. Main concourse roofed in steel and glass. Circa 1876.     SU 642 002
2701 102
Church
C.19
All Saints. Built 1827-28 by Jacob Owen, in neo-Perpendicular style, faced with Dorset ashlar. West doorway and neo-Perpendicular window within deeply moulded recess. Central ogee arched clock tower surmounted by small spire. Six tall windows to aisles, three windows to chancel. Extended in 1877 attributed to J.O. Scott. Inside framework of cast iron quatrefoil piers and plastered vaults, now altered to accommodate offices.     T&CP Act
SU 645 009
2701 12
Commercial Road (West Side)
Building
C.20
No. 105, three storeys, Baroque style built 1900-20. Polished granite ground floor. Egg and dart band at window head level. lnner three windows of second floor framed by Doric columns, first floor windows have architrave surrounds, ground floor has three plate glass windows set between piers.     T&CP Act
SU 641 004
2701 20
Conway Street
Church
C.19
St. Agatha's Church. Dedicated in 1895 and designed by Joseph Henry Ball of Southsea in Romanesque Basilica style. Brick structure. Interior has marble columns and massive roof timbers. The nave capitals were designed by George Heyward Sumner who was also responsible for the decoration of the main apse in 'sgraffito' work, a Roman/ Renaissance technique of incised coloured plaster surfaces, which is a rare survival. The Lady Chapel, formerly on the south side, was demolished in 1964 and the baldachino removed to St. Michael's and destroyed with that church in 1960. The altar is now in Holy Trinity Church, Gosport and the pulpit in St. John's, Rudmore. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevnser & Lloyd) pp.432-4.     T&CP Act
SU 640 007
2701 08
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 17) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 17) Next page (Volume 11, Page 19) Next page (Volume 11, Page 19)