Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 21 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 19) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 19) Next page (Volume 11, Page 22) Next page (Volume 11, Page 22)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Edinburgh Road
Cathedral
C.19
Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. Built 1877-82, architects. Crawley, additions by J. Hanson 1886 and 1892. Interior modernised 1960s. Red brick structure with stone dressings. Nave, transepts and choir with steeply pitched slate roofs. Aisles and Chapels with lean-to roofs. Apsed buttressed sanctuary. Tall neo-Decorated windows. Finely proportioned interior. Nave arcades with slender stone piers with foliate capitals, sharply moulded arches. Some of the choir decoration by Westlake. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevnser & Lloyd) pp.432-4.     T&C P Act
CA
SU 639 004
2701 29
Flathouse Road
Building
C.20
Royal Navy Physical Training School swimming pool. Red brick with stone dressings. Gabled slate roof. Semi-circular sash window on main end north.     SU 639 004
2701 103
Fratton Road
House
C.19
No. 245 Lawnswood. Built circa 1843-50, former vicarage to St. Mary's Church, possibly a T.E. Owen design. Irregular L-shape in plan. Steep pitch gable-end slate roofs, tall grouped octagonal capped chimneys. Gabled enclosed porch with Gothic panelled double doors. Three storey projecting bay with three-light mullioned ground floor window. Regular south garden front of five windows, gabled bay in centre. French windows on ground floor. Set back from road in large garden.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 651 009
2701 92
Building
C.17/18
No. 11 5 National Westminster Bank. Two storeys, walls painted brick and partly tile-hung, sash windows. Originally two cottages, one C.17 with a C.18 cottage added at right angles. Converted to a public house, The Dog and Duck, in C.19, and single storey public-house-front added. This frontage removed and building restored by Hampshire Buildings Preservation Trust in 1984.     SU 653 004
2701 134
Public House
C.18
No. 129, The Guardsman, formerly the King and Queen. Two storeys, higher section to the south. Hipped tiled roof with dormer windows. Rendered front elevation.     SU 653 004
2701 135
Building
C.19/20
The Church Institute. Two storeys. Red brick structure. Six window bays and one blind bay, separated by buttress piers. Steeply pitched gable end tiled roof, with copper domed cupola in centre of ridge. Sash windows on ground and first floors, set in segmental-arched full length recesses. Entrance has double doors surmounted by rectangular fanlight under a deep hood. North wing, projecting to front, has hipped tiled roof, double panelled doors, and two circular windows. Built 1899-1907 designed by Sir R. Blomfield.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 651 009
2701 93
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 19) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 19) Next page (Volume 11, Page 22) Next page (Volume 11, Page 22)