Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 22 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 21) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 21) Next page (Volume 11, Page 23) Next page (Volume 11, Page 23)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Carnegie Library. Two storeys, brick structure with stone dressings. Hipped tiled roof. Square stone bay windows either side of door, other windows sash within stone frames. Massive stone entrance with balcony and carved hood over door. Interior contains important Art Nouveau stained glass. Built by A.E. Cogswell 1905.     CA
SU 650 006
2701 104
Federick Street, Lamport
Bell's School. Original part built in 1812 named the Bell School, after the type of educational system. Enlarged in 1894. White brick construction. Central projection with round headed windows, and pediment containing inscriptions giving dates of the building.     T&CP Act
SU 642 008
2701 30
Greetham Street, Landport
St. Luke. Neo-Norman, flint with stone dressings. Interior has five-bay arcades of red and yellow brick, with round piers and scalloped capitals. Tall chancel arch, apsed sanctuary with textboards. West bellcote. 1858-61 by Thomas Hellyer of Ryde. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire & IOW (Pevnser & Lloyd) pp.440.     T&CP Act
SU 643 001
2701 31
Guildhall Square
Southern Gas Board Premises. Two storeys, stone construction with pillared balustrade around roof. Entrance flanked by large shop windows, all other windows having small panels. Small basement windows at ground level.     CA
SU 639 001
2701 105
The Guildhall. Built 1886-90 in Italianate classical design by William Hill of Leeds, but rebuilt in 1950 by E. Berry Webber, after sustaining heavy damage during the Second World War. The two main storeys are ashlar faced on a rusticated raised basement. A spectacular staircase leads to the main entrance under a hexastyle Corinthian portico. The pediment contains symbolic sculpture and is surmounted by a statue of Neptune. Either side of the entrance, colonnades rise the full height of the two storeys. Two cupolas with elongated domes form a foreground feature to the tower which is in three stages. The rusticated base rises several feet above roof level. This is surmounted by the bell-stage, the final stage containing the clock. This was originally surmounted by a cupola but now terminates in an octagonal feature. The sides of the building are recessed behind Corinthian colonnades. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and the IOW (Pevnser & Lloyd) pp.445-446.     T&CP Act
SU 640 001
2701 18
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 21) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 21) Next page (Volume 11, Page 23) Next page (Volume 11, Page 23)