Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 29 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 27) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 27) Next page (Volume 11, Page 30) Next page (Volume 11, Page 30)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
National Westminster Bank. Three storeys with high ground floor. Four bays wide divided by rusticated pilasters. Concealed low pitch roof. Panelled main frieze with dentil and projecting moulded eaves cornice, another panelled frieze with moulded cornice over ground floor. Windows on second floor are recessed sash, those on first floor are set within architrave surrounds. On the ground floor the three tall windows and door are within rounded arches. Panelled door with semi-circular fanlight.     T&CP Act
SU 630 002
2701 34
Public House
C.20
Keppels Head Hotel. Three storeys and attic. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate mansard roof with dormer windows. The bays continue through first and second floors with shallow stone and iron balconies to windows. Bays separated by brick panels with stone pilasters. Ground floor main stone doorway with smaller doorway to left and rounded bay windows.     CA
SU 630 002
2701 108
Building
No., 27 Three storeys, brick construction. Flat roof with projecting stone parapet. Sash windows to upper floors surmounted by stone arches. Pilasters flanking inset porch. Shop window on ground floor.     CA
SU 630 002
2701 109
Kent Street, Portsea
School
C.18
The Beneficial School. Three storeys, red brick construction. The end facing the road has brick dentil pediment with stone capping containing a commemorative tablet. The second floor has two blind windows, first floor has recessed sashes with glazing bars. These windows flank a large Venetian window extending through both floors. The ground floor which is stuccoed, has sash windows with glazing bars flanking double doors, which are surmounted by a semi-circular fanlight which rises into the pediment. West side elevation has recessed sash windows those on upper floor being blind. Built in 1784 by Beneficial Society as a free school for boys, and enlarged in 1836 by the addition of a girls school. Now Beneficial Foundation workshops.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 633 002
2701 36
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 27) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 27) Next page (Volume 11, Page 30) Next page (Volume 11, Page 30)