Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 39 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 38) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 38) Next page (Volume 11, Page 40) Next page (Volume 11, Page 40)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Gateway
C.18
Unicorn Gate. Entrance from Unicorn Road. One of two original Portsea Gateways, built circa 1778, taken down and rebuilt as the Dockyard entrance in 1865. Constructed of Portland Stone, the arch is rusticated and keystoned. Double plain pilasters either side of main arch, surmounted by pediment containing a representation of a unicorn. The small footway arches let into the concave descending walls either side of the main arch are flanked by pilasters with ball finials.     CA
SMR 375

2701 86
Gateway and Wall
C.18
Victory Gate and Dockyard Wall. Piers of Portland stone surmounted by gilded spheres, originally 12ft. apart with a wrought iron arch, but one pier was moved in 1942, to facilitate the passage of landing craft. The brick wall is nearly three quarters of a mile long.     CA
SMR 376

2701 72
Houses (9)
C.18
Long Row or The Parade. Terrace of three storey houses, built in 1717. Red brick construction, faced in stucco in early C.1 9. The southernmost house was enlarged in 1832 as a residence for the Admiral Superintendent. Recessed sash windows and large entrance porch to each house approached by a flight of five steps.     CA
SMR 384

2701 82
Building
Old Naval Academy. Three storeys and nine bays, brick construction with stone dressings. Projecting pedimented wings. Central bay slightly projected, with Doric doorway. Built in 1729-32. Central cupola, octagonal in shape built of timber and lead, added in 1808. Originally built as the Royal Naval College from 1808, it was used as the School of Navigation from 1906-41 and is now the Staff Officers Mess. The building was damaged in World War II.     CA
SMR 383

2701 77
Ship
C.18
HMS Victory, Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar 1805. Victory was designed by Sir Thomas Slade and built at Chatham, she was launched in 1765, her keel is of elm and her hull built of oak. She was a first rate ship of the line, and carried 104 guns on three decks, she displaced 3,500 tons. Victory was renowned for being unusually fast under sail, and her great masts rising to 200 feet gave her added advantage as a flagship. The ship was refitted after Trafalgar and re-commissioned in 1808 eventually being anchored in Portsmouth Harbour in 1816. She remained afloat until 1922 when she was permanently dry-berthed in No. 2 dock, restoration work has continued since then. Victory is the longest serving ship in the world, she is still commissioned as the flagship of The Commander-in-Chief, Naval Home Command. Ref: Explore Hampshire (Holder) p.58.     CA

2701 13
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 38) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 38) Next page (Volume 11, Page 40) Next page (Volume 11, Page 40)