Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 40 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 39) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 39) Next page (Volume 11, Page 41) Next page (Volume 11, Page 41)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Buildings
C.18
Nos. 15, 16, and 17 Stores. Red and grey brick construction with red tile roofs. Remaining three of a group of four stores, No. 14 store having been totally destroyed by bombing. No. 15 store was built in 1771 and modernised after bomb damage. No. 16 store, has 'GR 1771' worked in darker bricks on the end wall, was also damaged and modernised. No. 17, built in 1778 has also been modernised.     CA
SMR 391

2701 65
Building
C.18
No. 18 store, The Great Ropehouse. Three storey brick building nearly 1,100 ft. long. Built after 1700 when the original brick building was destroyed by fire. In 1776 it was rebuilt again following another fire, this time deliberately laid by Jack Aitken alias Jack the Painter, who was subsequently hanged for his crime. The long line of the building was broken by the construction of two arched passageways, in the early part of this century. Re-fitted as No. 18 Store in 1960.     CA
SMR 378

2701 69
Building
C.18
No. 19 Store. Formed this century by roofing over the courtyard between the old Hemp House and Hatchelling House both built in 1771. Joined to the Ropehouse by a covered way.     CA
SMR 389

2701 80
Archway
Between stores 18 and 19.     CA
SMR 390

2701 79
Buildings
C.18
Nos. 9, 10 and 11 Stores. Built 1782 (No. 9), 1777 (No. 10), 1763 (No. 11), red brick, three storeys, pediment over central bay of each store. Part of the route for visitors to HMS Victory passes through a collonade on ground floor of Nos. 9 and 10 stores.     CA
SMR 379

2701 68
Building
C.18
Boiler Shop West, 1771.     CA
SMR 396

2701 61
Docks
No. 1 Dock, reconstructed and enlarged from the original Great Ship Basin of 1698, by Sir Samuel Bentham in 1795-1802. No. 2 Dock, built in 1802, now contains HMS Victory. Nos. 3 and 4 Docks, stone built in 1803, opening off of Great Ship Basin. No. 5 is on or near the site of the Great Stone Dock. No. 6 Dock on the site of earlier dock but dates from 1801.     CA
SMR 397

2701 60
Building
C.18
No. 24 Store, or South West Building. Built in 1782 and later, two storeys 15 bays, central three and end bays projecting, surmounted by pediments. An additional storey added in 1939.     CA
SMR 388

2701 66
Building
No. 25 Store, or South East building, built in 1782 and later. The same style as the other stores, and unaltered.     CA
SMR 387

2701 81
Building
C.18
No. 33 store and E.E.M's Offices. The remains of the two storey north west building of 1783, though now three storeys. Stores Nos. 24, 25 and 33 together with a fourth building formed the two sides of a parade ground.     CA
SMR 386

2701 67
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 39) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 39) Next page (Volume 11, Page 41) Next page (Volume 11, Page 41)