Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 41 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 40) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 40) Next page (Volume 11, Page 42) Next page (Volume 11, Page 42)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Church
C.18
St. Ann's Church. Plain red brick construction, with five round-headed windows in two tiers and a recessed window bay at north east end. The south west end damaged during the war and restored in 1955 with reconstructed cupola over pedimented gable end. Interior has ceiling rose with fluting and leaf patterns. Above chancel arch is stucco moulding of swagged curtain with urns. The design is said to be by Admiralty Surveyor John Marquand built in 1785-6, though Thomas Telford who was working in the dockyard at this time may have been involved.     T&CP Act
CA

2701 35
Building
C.18/19
South Office Block. Originally two blocks, the western half built in 1786 as offices and the eastern half built in 1788 as storerooms. Two storeys brick built with stone dressings, large closely spaced windows, and pediment over the central bays. A three storey portion with a central rusticated archway was built in 1840 to link the two original buildings.     CA
SMR 392

2701 64
Houses (6)
C.18
Short Row. A terrace of houses designed by Thomas Telford. Three storeys brick built. White-painted timber porches with semi-circular fanlights. Built in 1787.     CA
SMR 385

2701 78
Building
C.18
Admiralty House. By Samuel Wyatt 1784-6, but altered and added to in the C.19. The central, main building is three storeys with single storey wings terminating in pedimented pavilions. Built in yellow brick. Sash windows, those on upper floors with later shutters, and those in pavilion within recessed arches. The central block, is surmounted by an early C.19 octagonal tower, and has a Victorian porch.     CA
SMR 382

2701 76
Building
C.19
The Block Mills and stores 35 and 36, 1802-6. Two three-storey brick timber-framed buildings joined by single storey bay. Built over a reservoir which had been bricked over by Sir Samuel Bentham in 1800. The Block Mills housed Marc Brunel's block making machinery, some of which has now been set up on the Science Museum, London, and some at Southsea Castle.     CA
SMR 395

2701 62
Building
C.19
The North Office Block. Built as Old Smithy, 1800.     CA
SMR 393

2701 63
Building
C.19
Ship Maintenance Authority Offices, by Edmund Hall, 1815-17. Built originally as the School of Naval Architecture. Two storeys, yellow brick and stone. 17 bays, central three and the two at either end projecting slightly. Ground floor windows of projecting bays within recessed arches. Pediment over central bays. Doric porch.     CA
SMR 381

2701 75
Building
C.19
The Fire Station. Iron framed structure, built to hold a high-level water tank, replacing an earlier timber framed building. Originally open but now totally enclosed, though leaving the iron framework exposed. The water-tank was removed in 1950.     CA
SMR 401

2701 87
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 40) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 40) Next page (Volume 11, Page 42) Next page (Volume 11, Page 42)