Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 42 - Charles Dickens

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 41) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 41) Next page (Volume 11, Page 43) Next page (Volume 11, Page 43)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
No. 6 Boathouse. Built in 1843 originally as a mast house. Three storeys, yellow brick. Three bays, each with a large arched doorway. Sash windows. The interior has massive iron columns supporting iron girders designed to take the heavy loads on the upper floor. The building overlooks the boat pond. Damaged by bombing during World War II.     CA
SMR 380

2701 73
Building
C.19
No. 2 Ship Shop, dated 1849 facing No. 2 Basin. Two storeys, the ground floor storey being taller. Red brick with stone dressings. Twenty five bays in groups of five, with the central one of each group having a stone-edged arch, containing windows, rising through both storeys. All windows on ground floor have round heads, whilst those on upper floor are semi-circular. Built for the construction of steam engines. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevsner and Lloyd) p.416.     CA
SMR 400

2701 59
Building
C.19
The Iron Foundry, built 1854. Three storeys. Brick with stone dressings. Eleven bays with round headed windows, on each floor. Large stone framed arches in two of the bays.     CA
SMR 394

2701 83
Buildings
C.19
Nos. 5 and 7 Boathouses. Timber framed and boarded, built in 1882 and 1875, they extend over the mast pond on cast iron piles.     CA
SMR 403

2701 74
Gateway
C.18
Lion Gate. Originally erected in 1778 as one of Portsea Town Gates. Stone built with large central archway flanked by smaller arches. Central archway flanked by double pilasters of alternate rock-faced masonry. Pediment contains sculptured lion. Now incorporated as part of Semaphore Tower built in 1929.     CA
SMR 398

2701 84
Canopy
C.19
Iron railway waiting shelter dating from 1897.     SMR 399

2701 85
Wall
C.19
Extended dockyard wall. Adjoins Flathouse Road, Landport, now mostly within recent naval base extension. Purbeck stone regularly interspaced with brick, topped with semi-circular bricks. Small semi-circular defensive emplacements at regular intervals, with rifle slits. Built 1865.     SMR 402

2701 70
Anchors
C.18
Main Road, Three anchors displayed on a plinth, the largest from a Spanish Ship, another retrieved during salvage operations off the Isle of Wight in 1912, is possibly either from a Danish, Dutch or Swedish ship, the third smallest anchor has no known history.     CA

2701 141
Memorial
To Captain Robert Falcon Scott. On a granite plinth, bronze figure of Captain Scott with a dog, modelled by his widow. Damaged during the war but restored in 1968.     CA

2701 142
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 41) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 41) Next page (Volume 11, Page 43) Next page (Volume 11, Page 43)