Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 51 - Copnor

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 49) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 49) Next page (Volume 11, Page 52) Next page (Volume 11, Page 52)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Houses
C.19
Nos. 302-310. Terrace of two storey brick houses. Square stone bays at both storeys, with double windows at the front and single windows on the returns. Vertical sash. Gables over tops of bays with barge-boards and a boss in centre. Decorative timber across the spring of gables. Iron canopies on iron pole supports over doorways. Pantile roof. Forecourts with panelled brick wall.     SU 659 020
2702 41
Copnor Road
Tram Shelter
Junction of Copnor Road and New Road. Metal shelter for tramcar passengers. Late Victorian, probably installed in time of horse-drawn trams before electric trams were introduced.     SU 660 014
2702 35
Cottage
C.19
Railway Cottage. The former crossing-keepers cottage. A small two storey cottage with gable end slate roof. Sited so that the side windows have views up and down the railway line, the front of the cottage faces the line.     SU 660 014
2702 05
Inn
C.18/19
The Swan. Formerly The Duncan's Head, a coaching inn. Reconstructed early C.20. Two and a half storeys, half-hipped roof with dormer windows. String course above window lintel of first floor. Ground floor projects beyond first floor, and is surmounted by a balustrade parapet.     SU 660 017
2702 28
Church
C.20
St. Alban's Church. Built in 1914 by Sir Charles Nicholson, the west end re-built in 1956 following bomb damage during the war. Built in angular simplified Gothic style in red brick. Tall clerestory with lancets, lancet-windows also to aisles. Low pitch slate roof. Interior has white washed walls, octagonal sandstone piers, and richly coloured fittings. Plain octagonal C.15 font from St. Mary's Church, Portsea. Ref: Buildings of England Hampshire and IOW (Pevnser & Lloyd) pp.434-435.     T&CP Act
SU 660 018
2702 04
House
C.18/19
St. Alban's Vicarage. Two-storey house re-built circa 1920. Slate roof and slate-hung first floor. Ground floor rendered. Three windows to first floor and verandah supported on round classical columns. The building extends to the north with a recessed section with main door. A covered way extends towards the Church Hall.     SU 660 018
2702 04
Houses
Nos. 144-148. Three of a terrace of four houses. Brick but first floor rendered in pebble-dash. Slate roofs. Square bays at ground floor in stone and forming a canopy over porch with fascia in decorated cast iron. Vertical sash, flush windows at first floor.     SU 660 020
2702 49
Schools
Copnor First and Middle Schools. Brick and stone buildings with Dutch stylegables. Interesting metal railings on back edge of footpath.     SU 661 021
2702 43
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 49) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 49) Next page (Volume 11, Page 52) Next page (Volume 11, Page 52)