Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 67 - Cosham

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 65) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 65) Next page (Volume 11, Page 68) Next page (Volume 11, Page 68)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
London Road, Widley
Church
C.19
Christ Church, Portsdown. Built 1874 by J. Colson, in Norman style. Flint rubble and stone. Tall narrow round headed windows. Square tall wes tower with parapet. Interior has tall round piers to nave arcades, and good modern stained glass in aisles.     T&CP Act
SU 668 065
2703 06
Medina Road, Wymering
Building
C.18/19
Wymering Vicarage. Two storeys. South front of red brick and grey headers. Hipped old tile roof. Eight windows on first fIoor, one blind and tile-hung. Seven flush architrave surrounded sash windows on ground floor, with off-centre door. Victorian Gothic porch.     T&CP Act
SU 650 055
2703 07
Church
St. Peter and St. Paul's Church. An originally medieval church re-done by G.E. Street in 1860-61. Flint rubble with stone dressings, some medieval stonework. Windows renewed by Street. West bellcote with open arcading and small wood tiled spire. Interior has C.12 north nave arcade and C.13 south arcade.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 650 055
2703 08
Building
C.19
South Medina Farmhouse. Two storeys. Faced in flint rubble with rusticated stone quoins. Hipped slate roof. Two recessed sash windows on first floor with glazing bars. Two casement windows without glazing bars on ground floor, with central door surmounted by semi-circular fanlight, within rusticated stone surround. Verandah with cast iron supports across ground floor. Single storey flint rubble faced east wing.     T&CP Act
SU 648 055
2703 09
Building
C.18/20
Jubilee Home. Extension to original C.18 farmhouse, built in neo-Georgian style circa 1930. Single storey brick construction incorporating 200 year old door.     CA
SU 651 054
2703 18
Old Wymering Lane
Building
Wymering Manor. Medieval origin altered early C.19 and C.20. Half 'H' in plan with the courtyard filled in during C.19/20. stucco faced, two storeys and attic. The original front wings are gabled with ball finials, with one window to each floor, first floor having sashes with glazing bars, and shutters. Ground floors have canted bays. External brick and stone rubble chimney stack and two storey projecting early C.19 bay on west facade. Interior has early C.17 or Elizabethan panelling and an early but restored fireplace. Now a youth hostel.     T&CP Act
SU 649 055
2703 10
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 65) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 65) Next page (Volume 11, Page 68) Next page (Volume 11, Page 68)