Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 73 - Drayton and Farlington

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 72) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 72) Next page (Volume 11, Page 74) Next page (Volume 11, Page 74)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
The Cottage. One and half storeys, random flint, partly coursed with brick quoins. Flat tiled gabled roof. Formerly the coach house, coachman's quarters and stable to Drayton Manor Estate. Two gabled dormers wholly in roof at the front, one original, the sail loft, the other added when the property was converted in the 1950's. Ground floor has three windows converted from stable arches. To the left the coach house doorway has panelled double doors, with some remaining stable-hooks inside. The main entrance has a panelled door with diamond shaped light. The former stable door to the right has an arched head and planked door. The vitreous blue cobbles from the stable floor have been retained and relaid as a path around the house.     SU 669 053
2704 21
Havant Road, Cosham
House
C.19
No. 69, Cosham House. Two storeys, stucco faced. Low pitched slate roof. Five windows to each floor, the central three in a two storey bow with conical slate roof. Recessed tripartite sash windows on first floor, no glazing bars. French windows on ground floor which has full width tent roof verandah.     T&CP Act
SU 662 057
2704 01
House
C.18
No. 91, East Cosham House. Two storeys, painted brick with parapet and stone coping. Steep hipped slate roof. Recessed sash windows, glazing bars intact, Venetian shutters on ground floor. Delicate segmental arched wood trellis verandah with tent roof, covering two rectangular brick bays with tripartite sashes to front. Panelled door in reeded architrave surround. One round-headed window with Gothic panes to west of verandah.     T&CP Act
SU 664 056
2704 02
Building
The Garage, East Cosham. Originally a barn. Flint built with brick quoins, gabled slate roof. Now altered to provide loading bay and offices for engineering works.     SU 667 056
2704 35
Building
C.19
The New Inn. Three storeys stucco faced with rusticated ground floor. Low pitched slate hipped roof. Three windows to each upper floor, recessed sashes with glazing bars intact. On ground floor tripartite bar window with frosted glass. Victorian glass canopy on four elaborate cast iron brackets with large circular decorated panels to spandrels, over part of ground floor.     SU 670 056
2704 03
Lamp Posts (2)
C.20
At Station Road and Portsdown Avenue, the lamp posts are retained in an area which has been largely replaced by new ones. They are dated 1907 manufactured by Sperrings of Landports, and have decorative floral motifs.     SU 674 056
2704 24
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 72) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 72) Next page (Volume 11, Page 74) Next page (Volume 11, Page 74)