Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 80 - Fratton

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 79) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 79) Next page (Volume 11, Page 81) Next page (Volume 11, Page 81)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Ernest Road
Building
C.20
Nos. 74-76. The former White House public house. Circa 1903 by Cogswell for P.U.B. Ltd. Two storeys elaborately tiled front, using white tiles on first floor with green tile quoins and parapet stepped up with maroon tile coping. Shaped gable with segmental pediment and flanking arms with spike finials, all in maroon tiles. Two canted bay windows with maroon tiled bases. Maroon tile cornice and frieze on ground floor. Public house front with polished wood framed windows and door with patterned frosted glass.     SU 653 012
2705 04
Houses
Nos. 78-110. Two storey terrace, brick with slate roofs. Dentil course beneath eaves. Stone bays at ground floor. First floor has vertical sash windows separated by pilasters. Forecourts.     SU 653 011
2705 50
Fratton Road
Public House
C.19
Nos. 64-70, The Magpie. Brick with tiles and terracotta in relief. Decorated parapet, and coping raised in curves at intervals. Tablet, over doorway on splayed corner, bearing date 1894.     SU 651 002
2705 19
Church
C.20
Wesley Central Hall. Built 1928, damaged during World War II afterwards restored and further alterations in 1971. Spatial interior of main chapel with pleasing proportions, full balcony along three sides. Fine example of inter-war public buildings.     SU 651 003
2705 20
House
C.19
No. 150. Three storeys brick built. Gablet roof of blue slate, with three rows in patterned 'U' shape slates. Dormers spring at eaves. Decorated flues. Terracotta tablet with date 'AD 1889'.     SU 651 004
2705 21
Public House
The Electric Arms. Two storeys. Glazed tiles on ground floor frontage and brick at first floor.     SU 651 005
2705 22
Church
C.19
St. Mary's Kingston. Neo-Perpendicular design, tall and long with dominating west end tower with pinnacles. Faced in flint with stone dressings. Large Perpendicular aisle and clerestory windows. Lofty open interior. Six bay nave arcades with octagonal piers. Coved hammer beam roof carried over chancel. Sanctuary has vault of diagonal ribs. Stained glass by Burlison and Grylls circa 1890-1920. Elaborate carved reredos, and delicate cast iron chapel screens. Designed by Sir A. Blomfield, the foundation stone laid by Queen Victoria's eldest daughter on 9th August 1887. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevsner & Lloyd) pp.441-442.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 652 008
2705 01
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 79) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 79) Next page (Volume 11, Page 81) Next page (Volume 11, Page 81)