Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 83 - Fratton

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 81) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 81) Next page (Volume 11, Page 84) Next page (Volume 11, Page 84)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Wall and Gate Piers
C.19
St. Mary's Kingston, churchyard wall. Flint rubble wall with brick dressings and coping. Flint gate piers with flush stone quoins and stone caps. Twisted iron rails to gates. Wall extended in recent years following the demolition of buildings on the west side of Woodland Street.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 651 007
2705 02
Building
C.19
The Church Institute. By Sir A. Blomfield 1899. Built in dark red brick, shallow arched panels contain two tiers of windows, buttresses between. Cupola, and Venetian window high in north gabled elevation. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevsner & Lloyd) p. 442.     SU 651 009
2705 66
Public House
C.20
The Florist. By A.E. Cogswell, 1924. Turret, half timbering. Fascia panel with mosaic lettering incorporating the name 'Brickwood'.     SU 651 000
2705 05
George Street
Public House
The Graham Arms. Two storeys, brick built with gable roof. Mullioned windows at first floor with elaborate stone lintels. Relief frieze between first and ground floors. Half-height pilasters at sides of doorways.     SU 655 003
2705 38
Church
C.20
St. Wilfrid's. A mission church for St. Mary's Portsea, a dual purpose Church built by Blackwell of Kettering, the foundation stone reads 'W.F. Smith, March 9th 1903'. Red brick with stone facings and green slate roof with small belfry. The large nave is approached by the main south door, which is flanked by meeting rooms of lower structure than the nave. The Chancel can be closed off from the nave, thus allowing secular use of the building. Further rooms and halls and a secondary entrance are to the north of the nave.     SU 654 013
2705 06
Kingston Road
Structure
Columns outside Nos. 148/50 and No. 144. Two cement columns at back edge of footway, surmounted by decorated blocks of stone. Once part of a canopy or colonnade in front of shops.     SU 650 015
2705 44
Chapel
C.19
Buckland United Reformed Church. Brick building, with stone window dressings and doorways. Pseudo-Gothic style. Mullioned windows with leaded lights.     SU 649 017
2705 45
New Road
Public House
C.19
The Mermaid. Two and half storeys. Slate roof. Windows wholly in dormers. Oversailing chimneys. Angled elevations around corner site. At ground floor glazed canopy in decorated ironwork standing on six metal pillars, at the western end the canopy is supported by a corbel fixed to adjoining wall.     SU 657 004
2705 41
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 81) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 81) Next page (Volume 11, Page 84) Next page (Volume 11, Page 84)