Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 86 - Fratton

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 85) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 85) Next page (Volume 11, Page 87) Next page (Volume 11, Page 87)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Public House
C.19
No. 214. The Byron Arms. Two and half storeys, brick and stone. Hexagon shaped tower surmounted by cupola, on the splayed corner. Window with rounded top and eight lights on the outward facing sides of the hexagon. Ornamented stone on brick gables sprung on parapet coping.     SU 657 017
2705 57
St. Mary's Road
Houses
C.19
Nos. 133-135. Pair of semi-detached dwellings of two storeys, brick sides. The gable ends front the road and are faced entirely with hung slates. Casement windows. Doorways in side elevations with semi-circular arch.     SU 655 008
2705 32
Cottages
C.19
Nos. 137-155. Brick terraced cottages, some with original six-light casement windows. The front gardens provide an interesting and attractive setting.     SU 656 008
2705 33
Lodge
C.19
Recreation Ground. Single storey red brick building, with stone dressings. Dutch gables to roof. Mullioned windows with drip mould over. Date '1890' on plaque on north side of building.     SU 656 007
2705 12
Chapel
C.19
Kingston Cemetery, Roman Catholic chapel, a small simple building, flint faced with stone detail. Slate roof with hipped gables. three-light Early English type windows to east and two two-light similar windows on south elevation. Doorway on north side, blocked doorway to west.     SU 656 009
2705 09
Lodge, Gates and Wall
C.19
Kingston Cemetery. The Lodge is a two storey red brick building with terracotta and stone dressings and slate roof. The gates are flint faced with stone dressings. Victorian Gothic vehicular arch, surmounted by pediment and flanked by pedestrian gates, metal finials to roof. The wall is flint faced but no longer has railings. All by A.E. Cogswell, 1888.     SU 657 008
2705 07
Chapels
C.19
Kingston Cemetery, Church of England and Non-Conformist. Matching pair of flint faced chapels with stone detailing and slate roofs. The entrances face each other across an ornamental Victorian iron fountain. The doors are flanked by offices and vestries. The entrance doors are surmounted by octagonal belfries with slate spirelets. Each chapel has three Gothic windows on each face. The main window has three lights with tracery above. Stone and flint buttresses to chapels and offices.     SU 657 008
2705 08
Building
C.19
Kingston Cemetery. Single storey flint and stone structure, with drip mould over the doorway. Affixed to gable over doorway is a clock with black face and gilt Roman numerals and hands. Roof of semi-circular tiles.     SU 657 008
2705 34
Fountain and Pond
C.19
Kingston Cemetery. Cherub figure set on a plinth in a dish at the centre of a small pond containing fish and aquatic plants. Railings surround the pond. At stations on a larger circumference than the railings are eight metal urns containing plants.     SU 657 008
2705 35
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 85) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 85) Next page (Volume 11, Page 87) Next page (Volume 11, Page 87)