Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 120 - Highland

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 119) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 119) Next page (Volume 11, Page 121) Next page (Volume 11, Page 121)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.20
Eastfield Hotel. Circa 1905 Rake and Cogswell. Two storeys, orange tiled ground floor, light green first floor. Fascia with name of hotel in dark green faience set in dark red tiles above first floor windows. Ornamental gables and parapet with balustrade. Round headed windows on ground floor, sash windows on first floor.     SZ 663 993
2707 13
Eastney Road
Building
C.20
Milton School. 1905 by A.E. Cogswell. Brick with stone dressings and red tile roof. Central section has ornamental triangular gable with terracotta detailing, flanked by small turrets. The two end sections of the building project forward slightly, one having original terracotta detail on the gable, the other rebuilt in brick after sustaining bomb damage. Stone pediments cover central ground floor windows. Single storey infants' school to rear, of the same date and style.     SZ 666 995
2707 15
Building
C.20
Former Police Station circa 1900. Plain cream render and red brick, two pitches to roof, shallow at eaves, steeper higher up. Tall narrow rendered chimney stacks. Brick and rendered wall with original railings, curved wall between piers.     SZ 666 995
2707 14
Footpath
Opposite The White House Public House at the junction of Goldsmith Avenue and Milton Road, and to the north of Milton School, the footpath follows the site and route of the towpath on the south side of the former Portsmouth - Arundel canal. The site and route of the north side of the towpath is immediately to the south of Foster Hall, outside Highland Ward.     SZ 666 996
2707 84
Eastney Esplanade/Southsea Esplanade
Street Lighting
From junction with St. Helen's Parade to Eastney swimming pool. Along this stretch of lighting there are thirty columns of note, on the shoreside only. Twin lanterns to each column suspended on brackets at the head of the ornate columns on which are moulded the former town crest for Portsmouth, the sun and crescent.     SZ 653 981
2707 80
Shelter
C.20
Opposite D-Day Memorial. An Edwardian shelter which as been much renovated, resulting in a loss of much of its original character. Only apparently original parts of the structure are the ornate cast-iron brackets at the four corners supporting the roof.     SZ 653 981
2707 81
Memorial
C.19
Situated in Canoe Lake Garden. Memorial to Emanuel Emanual Alderman and Mayor of Portsmouth 1866-7. Also, inscribed on a block of the polished granite base, a dedication to 'Alderman R. Barnes, Mayor 1895'. The structure comprises a bronze angel standing on a polished granite plinth under a cast-iron canopy decorated with metal bosses supported on four metal columns.     SZ 654 982
2707 35
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 119) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 119) Next page (Volume 11, Page 121) Next page (Volume 11, Page 121)