Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 125 - Highland

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 124) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 124) Next page (Volume 11, Page 126) Next page (Volume 11, Page 126)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Henderson Road
Church
C.20
St. Andrew's Garrison Church. One of a series of churches designed for the Admiralty. Brick with stone dressings. Eight bay arcades with stone piers and capitals and moulded brick arches. Terracotta panelling round the sanctuary. The stained glass in east window and the three lancets is by Kempe. Ref: Buildings of Hampshire and the IOW (Pevsner & Lloyd) p.436.     SU 670 991
2707 17
Eastney Sewage Pumping Station
Engine House
C.19
The first building erected as a result of proposals in 1864 to provide improved sewage facilities for Portsea Island. This building dates from 1865, built of deep red brick with low pitch slate roofs. Central block of two storeys with single storey wings, pyramidal roof with crescent and star weathervane over central part. Wings have ventilators along ridge of roof. Round arched windows with crescent and star insignia on keystones. The original engines were scrapped in 1922. Engine house and adjoining boiler house now used as council workshops.     SMR 596
T&CP Act
SZ 673 992
2707 10
Pump House
C.19
The first system proved to be inadequate, so in 1887 a second pump house was built. Designed by Sir Frederick Bramwell, this building is of two storeys with attic, built of red brick with yellow brick and stone dressings. Steeply pitched gable and slate roof, gable end facing the road. Round headed windows in gable end and on ground floor. All windows have iron glazing bars. Large central double door surmounted by round headed arch and reached up stone steps. Adjoining boiler house is in similar design but lower twin gabled slate roof with louvered ventilators. Adjacent is brick chimney strengthened by iron bands. The pump house contains two important Boulton and Watt beam engines. Owned by Portsmouth City Council and open to the public.     SMR 596
T&CP Act
SZ 673 992
2707 09
Building
C.20
Gas Engine House. Large rectangular single storey brick building with rusticated quoins and dentilled cornice. Built in 1904 it contains rare Crossley gas engines and a Tangye centrifugal pump.     SMR 596
T&CP Act
SZ 673 992
2707 107
Henderson Road
Beach Defences
C.20
World War II beach defences consisting of 246 flat-topped concrete blocks approximately one metre square, set in line at the back of the shingle beach at Eastney. These were intended to impede any enemy landings and movement inland.     SMR 593
SZ 677 988
2707 108
Hester Road
Public House
The Artillery Arms. Wholly rendered in front elevation with vertical sash windows and half-round arch to doorway. The northern wing is an old two storey cottage with a slate roof, believed to have connections with the working of the former Portsmouth Arundel canal.     SZ 668 996
2707 85
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 124) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 124) Next page (Volume 11, Page 126) Next page (Volume 11, Page 126)