Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 138 - Hilsea

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 137) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 137) Next page (Volume 11, Page 140) Next page (Volume 11, Page 140)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
London Road
Boundary Stone
C.18
This stands at the junction of the London Road and Torrington Road. Stone obelisk 15ft. high on corniced plinth, erected in 1799 to mark the boundary of the Borough of Portsmouth.     T&CP Act
SU 653 032
2708 05
House
C.18
No. 511. Two storeys, grey headers with red brick dressings. Hipped old tile roof. Architrave framed sash windows, surmounted by flat gauged arches. Panelled door in architrave surround. Porch with Doric columns to front, pilasters to wall and pediment over.     T&CP Act
SU 654 035
2708 04
Camp
C.20
City of Portsmouth Boys School to the north area, formerly Hilsea College. Brick huts and mess hall/theatre, built for use of the American army in 1941-2. The mess hall/theatre still has original podium and pillar framing. Now used by the school as workshops.     SU 655 039
2708 10
Factory Building
C.20
Formerly a fire station. Concrete structure with vertical folding half glazed and panelled sweep doors. This building was the third purpose-built fire station in the city, and is the only one remaining after the service's expansion programme in 1920. Damaged during the war, 1941, and converted to tanker production premises in 1950.     SU 656 039
2708 11
Public House
C.20
The Coach and Horses. Rebuilt in 1932 by A.E. Cogswell. Mainly red brick and tile with turret with castellation to London Road frontage. In 1907 the freehold of the former Coach and Horses public house was sold by the War Office to Sir William Dupree for the then extortionate sum of 10,000. It is said that he was so annoyed by the sum charged that he commissioned a painting to commemorate the event. This painting was recreated in the form of two large (12ft. by 9ft.) bas relief cartoons in terrazio tiles on the north and west walls of the rebuilt public house. The scene depicted is that of a highwayman holding up a mail coach, and entitled, 'The Coach and Horses, a tale of Highway Robbery'.     SU 655 093
2708 13
Twyford Avenue
Public House
C.19
No. 314, The Avenue Hotel. Large Victorian public house by A.E. Cogswell. Built in brick with half timbering, three storeys.     SU 646 029
2708 15
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 137) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 137) Next page (Volume 11, Page 140) Next page (Volume 11, Page 140)