Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 147 - Milton

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 145) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 145) Next page (Volume 11, Page 149) Next page (Volume 11, Page 149)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
The Vicarage. Attractive mid-Victorian villa. A two storey flint faced building with gabled slate roof. Slightly projecting wing on front elevation, north end with gable facing Milton Road with decorative wooden bargeboards, and angular bay window running thorough two storeys, with small paned casement. Cream brick chimney stack with four chimney pots. Original flint boundary wall with brick piers, with decorated stone cappings and metal railings between the piers.     SZ 665 998
2709 16
Barn
Milton Park. Building remaining from earlier farm. Partly thatched rectangular brick building with some timbering and barn doors. Now used as a theatre.     SZ 664 998
2709 09
St. Mary's Road
Building
St. Mary's House. Original north block built in 1865, Owen in partnership with Livesay as the Portsea Island Union workhouse. Quadrangular block. Long north front in dark red brick with central pedimented feature. Recessed sash windows. Low pitched hipped slate roof. Later single storey extension. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW. (Pevsner and Lloyd) p.449.     T&CP Act
SU 660 006
2709 02
Tangier Road
Church
C.20
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. Built circa 1911. Designed by Canon Scoles, Architect and Priest. Italian Gothic west front with stone decoration on a red brick background. Impressive interior with delicately designed arches.     SU 661 014
2709 12
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 145) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 145) Next page (Volume 11, Page 149) Next page (Volume 11, Page 149)