Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 152 - Nelson

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 151) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 151) Next page (Volume 11, Page 153) Next page (Volume 11, Page 153)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Simpson Road, Rudmore
Church
C.20
Formerly the Church of St. John the Baptist built 1915-16 by J.D. Coleridge, now converted into sheltered flats. The building is in Romanesque Basilican style with austere brick exterior. The conversion has retained the semi-dome of the former sanctuary with its mosaic design by Phillip Suffolk completed in 1935, and the stained glass in the former Lady Chapel by Karl Parsons.     T&CP Act
SU 645 021
2710 02
Stamshaw Road
Building
C.20
Formerly the Mediterranean Public House, now coverted into flats. An Edwardian building with tiled mural of Gibraltar by Carter of Poole, at first floor level, built 1904, by A.E. Cogswell.     SU 646 002
2710 28
House
C.19
No. 61. Two storeys and semi-basement. Brick construction using grey headers with red brick quoins and window dressings. Hipped old tile roof. Brick dentil cornice with stone coping. Flush framed sash windows surmounted by rubbed brick arches. Panelled and glazed door.     T&CP Act
SU 646 022
2710 01
Stubbington Avenue
Church
C.20
Church of the Ascension, by A.E. Cogswell, foundation stone laid 14 October 1913 by the Bishop of Guildford. Exterior has large areas of plain brickwork with a limited amount of stonework. Gothic arched windows with stone tracery. The proportions of the large east window are not as originally designed as the sill height had to be raised, this was done by blocking the lower portion with brick and bath stone. Brick bellcote to the left side of front elevation. Ref: A.E. Cogswell, Architect within a Victorian City (Nash) p.106.     SU 655 023
2710 13
Tipner Lane (Off)
Building
C.19
Tipner Magazine, two former powder magazines 1830. Single storey and attic, brick built with hollow walls to maintain a stable temperature. They are brick vaulted, the tops of the vaults once filled with sand. Gambrel shaped roofs. Modern single storey building added to south side.     T&CP Act
SU 640 035
2710 22
Building
C.19
Tipner Magazine, two storey building immediately north of former powder magazine. Brick built, with flat roof with parapet. Seven sash windows. Probably former shifting house and cooperage. Circa 1830.     T&CP Act
SU 640 035
2710 23
Building
C.19
Tipner Magazine. Building immediately south of former powder magazine. Two storeys brick built. Flat roof with parapet. Seven sash windows. Probably former residence of the Senior Ordnance Officer. Circa 1830.     T&C P Act
SU 640 035
2710 24
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 151) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 151) Next page (Volume 11, Page 153) Next page (Volume 11, Page 153)