Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 155 - Nelson

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 153) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 153) Next page (Volume 11, Page 157) Next page (Volume 11, Page 157)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
Tipner Magazine. Former Guardhouse at entrance to magazine. Single storey brick built with hipped slate roof. Two windows, single doorcase.     T&CP Act
SU 640 035
2710 25
Wall
C.19
Tipner Magazine. Approximately 30m. of boundary wall in south west corner of the magazine. Brick built about 3m. in height, the wall protected the landward side of the magazine, all others being protected by the sea.     T&CP Act
SU 640 035
2710 26
Twyford Avenue
Church
C.20
St. Saviours. A.E. Cogswell, foundation stone laid 4 October 1913 by the Bishop of Southampton. Built on a north-south axis with the entrances at the north. Brick built with brick detailing. Symmetrical design with a centrally placed bellcote, of brick with red tiles surmounted by wrought iron finial. A large arched window is below the bellcote. The entrance doors are either side of front elevation surmounted by high-pitched gables. Ref: A.E. Cogswell, Architect within a Victorian City (Nash) p.102.     SU 645 027
2710 12
Gunnery School
HMS Excellent. Situated on Whale Island, which was created from material dredged up during the Victorian extensions to the Dockyard. The island rises higher than others in the harbour, and has some large trees. The School consists of a large complex of late C.19 buildings and some dating from the 1960s. The entrance gateway is by Banister Fletcher, 1920. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW. (Pevsner & Lloyd) p.430.     SU 637 023
2710 27
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 153) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 153) Next page (Volume 11, Page 157) Next page (Volume 11, Page 157)