Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 162 - Paulsgrove

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 161) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 161) Next page (Volume 11, Page 163) Next page (Volume 11, Page 163)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Portsdown Hill
Fort
C.19
Fort Southwick. Circa 1860, part of Palmerston's defences against the threat of French invasion. Massive slightly irregular enclosure with rectangular keep with bastions, containing barrack accommodation, these isolated by dry moats. Extensive underground chambers and passages with fine brick tunnel vaulting. Norman entrance archway. Massive outer earthworks. Low profile built into hillside at east end. Castellated parapet over entrance. Headquarters of D-Day operation in second World War.     T&C P Act
SU 628 069
2711 01
Racecourse Lane
Bridge
C.19
Brick built bridge crossing the railway originally giving access to the Portsdown racecourse which operated until World War II.     SU 638 057
2711 05
Southampton Road
Boundary Stone
C.20
County Borough of Portsmouth boundary stone inscribed with crest and Lord Mayor's name, 1920.     SU 627 056
2711 06
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 161) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 161) Next page (Volume 11, Page 163) Next page (Volume 11, Page 163)