Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 179 - St Jude

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 178) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 178) Next page (Volume 11, Page 180) Next page (Volume 11, Page 180)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Freestone Road
Houses
Nos. 1 and 3. Pair of semi-detached two storey villas. Rendered facade and slate roofs with chimneys projecting from end walls. Each house has two windows on first floor and one on ground floor, No. 1 having shutters to ground floor window, No. 3 has stained glass. String course through both houses. No. 1 has trellised verandah with glass roof. Small front gardens with brick boundary walls.     CA
SZ 645 987
2712 69
House
Nos. 5 and 7. Pair of semi-detached two storey villas with slate roofs and projecting end chimneys. Rendered facade. Two windows to each first floor, one to ground floor. Both houses have trellised verandahs, although these vary slightly. Small front gardens with brick boundary walls.     CA
SZ 645 987
2712 70
Houses
Nos. 9 and 11. Pair of semi-detached two storey villas. Slate roofs with chimneys projecting from end walls. Two windows at first floor level one at ground floor level. Both have delicately trellised verandahs. String course through both houses. Small front gardens with brick boundary walls.     CA
SZ 645 987
2712 71
House
No. 2. Large detached red brick villa with decorative quoins. Two storeys and semi-basement. Green tiled roof with decorative bargeboarding. House in three sections, each projecting slightly from the other. Large round bay on ground floor with balconette. Casement windows. Steps up to front door, which has a small canopy.     CA
SZ 645 987
2712 77
Granada Road
Station
C.19
East Southsea Station. The line was opened on the 1 July 1885 as recorded in the inscription of a commemorative stone which is built into the wall. Though now painted over and not visible, it recorded that, 'Princess Edward of Saxe Weimar, wife of the Lieutenant Governor of the Garrison, cut the first sod, together with principal officers of the Southsea and South Western Company'. The fact that the contractor was John Mackay of Hereford is also recorded. The line was originally jointly worked by the London and South-Western Company and the London, Brighton and South Coast Company. The station itself was sold by the company in 1904 and subsequently used as garage premises. The trains continued to use a simple platform outside the station, until the line was closed on 8 August 1914. The main feature of the existing buildings is the porte cochere which consists of cast iron columns surmounted by a framework of metal beams.     SZ 650 984
2712 168
House
C.19
No. 29. Three storeys, red tiled roof. Vertical sash windows. Canopy over main windows of first and second floors. Balconies on first and second floors. Decorative frieze below roof.     SZ 651 983
2712 74
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 178) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 178) Next page (Volume 11, Page 180) Next page (Volume 11, Page 180)