Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 180 - St Jude

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 179) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 179) Next page (Volume 11, Page 181) Next page (Volume 11, Page 181)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
No. 31, Landguard House. Three storeys red tiled roof. Vertical sash windows some with architrave surrounds. Pagoda type canopy over main windows on first and second floors. Balcony above second floor arched window, and also above first floor. Decorative frieze under roof. Steps up to entrance.     SZ 651 983
2712 73
Highland Road
Lodge
C.19
Cemetery Lodge. Attractive Gothic style two storey lodge house and cemetery superintendent's offices, circa 1854 adjacent to main entrance. Polychromatic red brickwork with quoins features. Bay windows on ground floor of west elevation. Three-light casement window to ground floor office on north elevation. Slate roof with exposed wooden gable end. Main central tall chimney stack with pots. Asymmetrical gable end with decorative wooden bargeboards. Stone dressed pointed door openings. Entrance doors include a pair of small panels at high level and vertical boarding.     SZ 658 989
2712 75
Kenilworth Road
House
C.19
No. 6. A two storey brick villa, circa 1870. Slate roof, double gable front with decorative bargeboards and finials. Stone quoins and window dressings. Pair of stone bay windows with sliding sashes and decorated parapet over the bays. First floor windows have curved decorated stone panels over. The central original four-panelled main entrance door is surmounted by a pointed fanlight and at first floor level a further small window. The door surround is of stone pilasters with capitals.     SZ 649 984
2712 145
Lawrence Road
Building
C.19/20
Nazareth House. Circa 1900, Architect Leonard Stokes. Three storeys, built in two shades of red brick, in a slightly irregular 'H' plan. Originally built as an orphanage and convent, now converted into flats. East wing elevation to road has tall chimneys flanking a central gable and gabled semi-dormers. Projecting triangular brick strips flank windows and run up the chimney stacks. Sash windows throughout. The central tall windows to first and second floors are surmounted by pediments on first floor, and round arches on the second floor. Ground floor windows partly concealed by the boundary wall which contains a gabled porch. South elevation has recessed centre with a central tower with open cupola with copper dome. Gothic style west chapel wing with large elaborate neo-Perpendicular south window.     T&CP Act
SZ 651 990
2712 01
Leopold Street
Public House
C.19
The Leopold. Two storeys, the first storey rendered, with parapet and string course between first and second floors. Ground floor is in green glazed tiling with 'Portsmouth and Brighton United Pale Ales' in old lettering. A typical Victorian 'pub'.     SZ 653 989
2712 146
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 179) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 179) Next page (Volume 11, Page 181) Next page (Volume 11, Page 181)