Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 184 - St Jude

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 183) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 183) Next page (Volume 11, Page 185) Next page (Volume 11, Page 185)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
South Parade
Pier
C.19/20
The pier built in 1878/9 designed by Roke, damaged by fire 1904 re-opened 1908, was destroyed by fire in 1974. The rebuilt pier incorporates the remains of the old pier. The oldest parts are the under-structure, the landing stage and the cast iron seat supports to the wooden slatted seats around the perimeter. Parts of the old entrance are incorporated into the rebuilding, and consist of a pair of small octagonal kiosks with domed roofs. Port cochere over promenade with glazed roof. Four small Edwardian turrets remain along with a small hall with arched roof and three dormer windows. The new section connects to the old with a single storey block. Two medium sized turrets with five bays with decorative work over, with the bar facing the sea. Then a pair of large turrets with sculptured dome roofs, all in rendered block-work. Twelve flagmasts on old building and four on the new part.     CA
SZ 652 980
2712 13
Houses
C.19
Nos. 3-5. Three storey, attics, French-style slate roofs, stucco facade. Dormer windows with steep pitched turrets over. Important central chimney stacks. Pair of angular bays on ground floor and basement with balustrade over. Entrance on right side, double doors surmounted by fanlight. All original boundary walls and piers remain, together with the simple wrought iron railings. Dated 1879.     CA
SZ 647 982
2712 122
Houses
C.19
Nos. 6-26. Owen style terrace. Slate roofs, curved eaves. Decorative frieze at first floor, which continues along west flank and original balusters to basement. Decorative balconettes at intervals at first and second floors.     CA
SZ 648 982
2712 102
Hotel
C.19
Strathearn Hotel. Two properties. Main part of the hotel is a late Victorian semi-detached pair of houses. Three storeys, basement and attic, red brick with stone quoins and window surrounds. Slate mansard roof. Pair of four storey stone bay windows. String course at first and second floors. Cast iron decorative balconies between bays and to each end of front facade. Attractive delicate timber porch over main entrance with stained glass panels. Original boundary wall with stone balustrade. The rear part of the hotel is a two storey building with basement and attic. Stucco faced south elevation with stone base. Large projecting gable with cross and circle finial. Casement windows, triple on ground floor, paired on first floor, and one large and two small windows on second floor. Small projecting gable with overhanging roof. Bay windows through ground and first floors, surmounted by castellated parapet. Rear section has random stone facing with a small projecting Dutch gable and paired windows, also a small Gothic four storey tower with a square turret.     T&CP Act
CA
SZ 649 981
2712 09
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 183) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 183) Next page (Volume 11, Page 185) Next page (Volume 11, Page 185)