Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 218 - St Thomas

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 217) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 217) Next page (Volume 11, Page 219) Next page (Volume 11, Page 219)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
HMS Vernon. Building No. 21 the Vulcan Building, by Jacob Owen, dated 1814 the Former Grand Store House, part of the Board of Ordnance Gunwharf built to supply Royal Navy ships at Portsmouth, one of the largest storehouses owned by the Board. Two-storey building, red brick with grey headers, originally 7-bay pedimented wings projected forward, but these sustained war-damage. The north wing was demolished and has been rebuilt in modern style. Main block has three centre windows and adjoining window bays stepped forward in two steps, pedimented over central part. Tuscan pilaster framed archway in central position. Recessed sash windows with glazing bars. Gable end west front of surviving south wing is pedimented with lunette. South front has centre three bays surmounted by pediment.     T&CP Act
SMR 507
SZ 631 997
2713 70
Building
C.19
HMS Vernon. Building No. 58, Officer Block circa 1811, part of the original Board of Ordnance Gunwharf. Two storeys, red brick with grey headers, one stone band between storeys. Brick dentil cornice with stone capping. Parapet with stone coping. Fifteen windows, centre three in slight projection with pediment. Recessed sash windows surmounted by rubbed brick arches. Central double panelled doors. Rectangular fanlight containing panel with gilded rope surround. Panel above with Royal Coat of Arms.     T&CP Act
SMR 507
SZ 630 998
2713 71
Gateway
C.19
HMS Vernon. Former Gunwharf gateway, now completely within the base and bricked up. Brick pillars with stone capping, surmounted by stone mortars. Round headed arches surmounted by blank roundels.     SMR 507
SZ 631 997
2713 135
Building
HMS Vernon. Building No. 47, to the south east of Building No. 21. Small unidentified store house, two-storey rectangular brick-built building with hipped roof and parapet, sash windows.     T&CP Act
SMR 507
SZ 631 996
2713 135A
Hambrook Street
Building
C.19/20
Nos. 18-20. Brewery House. Two storeys and semi-basement. Brown brick with red and blue bricks used for decoration. Semi-basement, painted. South side has pair of wooden bays forming the entrance. Part of Long's brewery complex, restored and altered in 1973.     CA
SZ 639 992
2713 212
Hampshire Terrace
House
C.19
No. 11. Part of altered circa 1820-30 terrace. Three storeys and basement, painted brick. Brick- dentil cornice, parapets with stone coping. One recessed sash window to second floor, superimposed Victorian canted wood bay to ground and first floors, with thin panelled pilasters dividing the lights. Panelled door, semi-circular fanlight, moulded imposts to round arch.     T&CP Act
CA
SZ 638 997
2713 72
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 217) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 217) Next page (Volume 11, Page 219) Next page (Volume 11, Page 219)