Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 240 - St Thomas

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 239) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 239) Next page (Volume 11, Page 241) Next page (Volume 11, Page 241)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
No. 11 The Lodge. C.18 house refaced with cement. Corner site with Penny Street. Three storeys, modern tiled mansard roof. Two dormers, two recessed sash windows on second floor, one on first floor with Venetian shutters. Tripartite bow windows on first floor. Recessed panelled door. On west wall facing Penny Street is a plaque inscribed 'In this house was born on 17 April 1833 Vicat Cole, the famous landscape painter' the son of George Cole.     T&C P Act
CA
SZ 633 992
2713 116
House
No. 13 the Provosts House. Mid C.19 recasing of two earlier buildings. Two storeys, imposing stucco faced front, long and short quoins, sill courses, and frieze and string course at window head level on both floors, moulded dentil eaves cornice and balustraded parapet. Seven recessed sash windows in pilaster frames, broken entablatures with curved pediments on ground floor. First floor has triangular pediments over all windows except the centre one which has curved pediment. Double panelled doors with rectangular fanlight to central entrance which has flanked pilasters and large triangular pediment.     T&CP Act
CA
SZ 633 992
2713 117
Building
C.18
The Royal Naval Club. 1871-75 major rebuilding of two C.18 houses with new frontage. Two three storey wings flank slightly recessed four storey tower section with entrance on ground floor. The wings are of grey headers with red brick dressings, rendered ground floor, rusticated quoins. Low pitch hipped slate roofs concealed by bracketed projecting cornice. Paired round headed outer windows on second floor. Central French casement on first floor, the outer windows being canted tent roof bays. Ornate cast iron balcony across. Ground floor has paired outer windows. Central tower is rendered, double round headed panelled doors, in moulded stucco surround, the keystone decorated with Royal Navy insignia. Rendered balcony with iron balustrade to centre in front of French window. Second floor has round arched sash windows, lunette plaque containing relief of Crown and Anchor, flanked by dolphins with a ship of the line behind. The top stage of the tower has three narrow sash windows to each face, arcaded balustrade to crowning parapet. The tower was used to signal ships at Spithead.     T&CP Act
CA
SZ 633 992
2713 118
Monument
C.19
Indian Mutiny Perthshire Volunteers Monument. Small Portland stone obelisk commemorating members of the 90th Light Infantry Perthshire Volunteers who were killed in the Indian mutiny of 1857 or died in India between 1859 and 1869.     T&CP Act
CA
SZ 636 991
2713 120
Monument
C.19
The Clarence or Fitzclarence Monument. Tapering octagonal column on multi-stepped base, Gothic crowning feature is octagonal capital with elaborate tracery to underside and finial with traceried panels. Erected in memory of Lieutenant General Fitzclarence who died in 1852.     T&CP Act
CA
SZ 636 991
2713 119
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 239) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 239) Next page (Volume 11, Page 241) Next page (Volume 11, Page 241)