Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 241 - St Thomas

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 240) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 240) Next page (Volume 11, Page 242) Next page (Volume 11, Page 242)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
The Cottage, 1834. Formerly Gate House to King William's Gate. Two storeys red brick. Two recessed sash windows with flat brick arches. Central panelled door with rectangular fanlight. Gable end slate roof. One bay extension to east.     CA
SZ 634 992
2713 259
Public House
C.19
The Pembroke. Corner site with Penny Street. Three storeys red brick painted at ground floor. Low pitched hipped slate roof. Two windows to Pembroke Road, three to Penny Street. Recessed sashes on upper floor, with flat stucco arches. Frieze and cornice carried over both fronts on ground floor with pilasters framing bar window and doors set across corner.     CA
SZ 633 993
2713 261
Penny Street
Fortification
C.17/18
Long Curtain to King's Bastion. Part of de Gomme's defensive scheme surviving in near original condition. Faces the sea with small scale outer defences. Earthern rampart with inclined inner face, flat top and stone outward face rising almost vertically from the moat, with strong rounded string course at top of stone work. Above this a brick parapet borders a walkway along the outward side of rampart. The seaward side of the moat is now a promenade, with vertical inner face behind which is a covered passageway. The King's Bastion is the only one of the C.17 or C.18 angle bastions surviving. Ref: Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevsner and Lloyd) pp.424-5.     CA
SMR 260
SZ 634 991
2713 131
Church
C.13-19
Royal Garrison Church. Originally founded in 1212 by Peter des Roches, then Bishop of Winchester, as Domus Dei, a hospice managed by the Monks of Southwick Priory, offering accommodation and care to the aged and to travellers. The nave of the church was the chapel. The Domus Dei was closed at the dissolution of the monasteries and converted for military use. In 1827 all other buildings demolished leaving only the Garrison Church. A thorough restoration was undertaken by G.E. Street in 1866 but the building sustained bomb damage in 1940, and the nave is now completely roofless. The west front entirely rebuilt by Street has a steeply gabled centre composition with a four light window, and simple west door. The east aisle window is an original lancet and the east window of the north aisle is also original but blocked. The west and side windows of the aisles are all by Street. The entrance to the Church is now a small priest's door on the south of the chancel, which is screened from the nave by a glazed wall. The chancel is of three vaulted bays of Early English design and contains elaborate fittings by Street, including carved choir stalls and terracotta and glazed tiling. The stained glass east window is by Carl Edwards 1958. Ref: 1. Buildings of Hampshire and IOW (Pevsner and Lloyd) pp.404-407. Ref: 2. Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs. (Lloyd) p.12. Ref: 3. Portsmouth (Balfour) p.13.     CA
SMR 138
SZ 633 992
2713 132
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 240) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 240) Next page (Volume 11, Page 242) Next page (Volume 11, Page 242)