Hampshire Treasures

Volume 11 ( Portsmouth)

Page 244 - St Thomas

Previous page (Volume 11, Page 243) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 243) Next page (Volume 11, Page 245) Next page (Volume 11, Page 245)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
Branksmere, formerly known as Byculla House. Corner site with Kent Road. Built 1895-6 for Brickwoods brewing family in common stylistically with their public houses. Eccentric and elaborate design with timber framing and Swiss chalet elements. Two storeys, deep red brick ground floor with grey brick diamond patterns, and stone dressings. The first floor is jettied in parts on shaped brackets. Ornate varnished framing to south front. Octagonal turret with tiled spire and broad eaves to south west corner. Projecting bay on garden front ground floor with bracketed balcony over, turned wooden balusters and supports rising to projecting eaves of gable. Wood mullioned casements. Overhanging gabled first floor over entrance on west side with heavy pedimental hood on carved brackets. Jacobean type pilasters framing door. Steep pitch tiled roofs, ridge tiles, dragon finials. Landscaped garden with lakes and bridge.     T&C P Act
CA
SZ 642 990
2713 24
Queens Grove
House
C.19
Originally St. Briavels, now The Tudor Court Hotel. Circa 1860. Two storeys and attic, tiled roof. Tall chimney stacks and elaborately shaped gables. Red brick structure with yellow and black diaper work. First floor projects slightly over ground floor. Mullioned casement windows. Doorway set back to left of front in rustic woodwork porch.     CA
SZ 643 990
2713 264
House
C.19
Wilton Lodge. Circa 1860. Red brick with yellow and black brick diaper patterning. Dutch gabled roof. Doorway in projecting section to north, hood moulding over door and window above. The west elevation has a bay window with decorative tile panel above. High yellow brick wall with gate pillars.     CA
SZ 643 990
2713 265
Queen's Place
House
C.19
Kersey House. Circa. 1847, by T.E. Owen. One of a group of detached houses, Kersey House, Western Court, Crescent House and Woodend. Grouped back to back in centre of site to allow maximum use of land for landscaped gardens. This house is of two storeys at road frontage and three storeys at rear. Red brick construction with rendered details and slate roof with gable ends. Gothic doorway with Gothic windows above. Boundary wall with attractive original gate pillars.     CA
SZ 642 991
2713 262
House
C.19
Western Court. Corner site with Queens Crescent. Circa 1847 by T.E. Owen. Three storeys, cement rendered. Sill courses and bands between the storeys. Irregular entrance front with two storey projection, one window to each floor. Main block has two sash windows to each floor. Crenellated enclosed porch with round arch panelled door. The garden front to Queens Crescent is three storeys with gabled projection with single storey wing to left. Round headed window in gable.     CA
SZ 642 991
2713 263
Previous page (Volume 11, Page 243) Previous page (Volume 11, Page 243) Next page (Volume 11, Page 245) Next page (Volume 11, Page 245)