Hampshire Treasures

Volume 12 ( Gosport)

Page 7 - Anglesey

Previous page (Volume 12, Page 6) Previous page (Volume 12, Page 6) Next page (Volume 12, Page 9) Next page (Volume 12, Page 9)

This ward contains the village of Alverstoke, mentioned in the Domesday Book as Alvarestock, once an old village at the head of Haslar Creek. It was probably the peninsula's oldest settlement, certainly Saxon if not considerably earlier in origin. According to a possibly legendary record of John Pontissera (1280) Alverstoke derived its name from a Saxon lady Alwara. Stoke means a settlement in marshy ground often having a religious connection.

Plans to revitalise Alverstoke in the early 1800s came from Robert Cruickshank, whose intention was to build a holiday resort and, under the patronage of the Marquis of Anglesey, a place of outstanding Regency architecture was created, known as the Crescent. The parish church of St. Mary, Alverstoke was originally believed to to have been Saxon. It contains many memorials from its earlier counterpart having been designed in the second half of the 19th century by Henry Woodyer. At one time a railway ran through Alverstoke to Stokes Bay, but this no longer disturbs the peaceful residential character of this ward.

The ward also includes the Haslar Naval Hospital founded in 1744 and the 1850s Gunboat Sheds and Fort Blockhouse. This became the headquarters of the Navy's submariners, and the Submarine Museum is now Gosport's principal tourist attraction.

Two other fortifications on the shore are the large Fort Monckton (1780s) and the Battery at Gillicker Point (late 1860s).

The ward contains three Conservation Areas, for Alverstoke village, Anglesey and the Haslar peninsula.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Anglesey.

Previous page (Volume 12, Page 6) Previous page (Volume 12, Page 6) Next page (Volume 12, Page 9) Next page (Volume 12, Page 9)