Hampshire Treasures

Volume 12 ( Gosport)

Page 23 - Brockhurst

Previous page (Volume 12, Page 21) Previous page (Volume 12, Page 21) Next page (Volume 12, Page 24) Next page (Volume 12, Page 24)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group A - Natural Features
Woodland
Browndown. Area of woodland, heath and marshland. Southern area of the 'Wildgrounds'. Access from grid reference.     SU 586 002
1003 12
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Grange (alleged site of)
The Hermitage, Middlecroft Lane. Traditionally but mistakenly believed to be site of Grange of Quarr Abbey. Remains of glassworks, brick kilns etc thought to be the work of R.C. Priests who occupied the house after 1730. OSA SU 50 SE 5.     SU 597 003
1003 09
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Footpath
Gosport/Fareham Railway line. (Disused). Partly landscaped by Gosport Borough Council and now in use as a footpath.     SU 604 003
1009 05
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Brockhurst Road
Public House
C.19
Queen's Head Public House. Victodan building with false half-timbered upper floors and classic 'Brickwoods' tiled front to the ground floor. The Cattle Pound was on the opposite side of Station Road.     GLL
SU 597 010
1003 13
Rodney Close
Cottage
Middle Barn Cottage. The last gamekeepers cottage at the entrance to the WiIdgrounds, with thatched stable nearby.     GLL
SU 584 010
1003 14
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Fort
Fort Grange. Earth rampart with emplacements on top. Brick caponiers, casemates and keep. Almost identical with Fort Brockhurst. SMR SU 50 SE 33. Ref: Portsmouth Papers 30 p.62.     SAM 562
SU 590 002
1002 01
Previous page (Volume 12, Page 21) Previous page (Volume 12, Page 21) Next page (Volume 12, Page 24) Next page (Volume 12, Page 24)