Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 1 - Bishopstoke

Previous volume (Volume 12, Page 34) Previous volume (Volume 12, Page 34) Next page (Volume 13, Page 3) Next page (Volume 13, Page 3)

Originally a very large parish of 3,340 acres. Fair Oak was formed from this parish in 1894 and Stoke Park was 'lost' in 1899, reducing the parish to 500 acres.

The earliest documentary reference to Bishop Manors Stoke was in 948. The Bishops of Winchester are known to have had a park here in the 14th century. In the Middle Ages it was called Stoke Episcopi.

The Manor House on an island was occupied by several of the Deans of Winchester. The old mill was demolished in 1934.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Bishopstoke.

Previous volume (Volume 12, Page 34) Previous volume (Volume 12, Page 34) Next page (Volume 13, Page 3) Next page (Volume 13, Page 3)