Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 3 - Bishopstoke

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 1) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 1) Next page (Volume 13, Page 4) Next page (Volume 13, Page 4)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group A - Natural Features
Trees
Area adjoining Church Road Bishopstoke and River Itchen. Contributes to the visual amenity of the area.     TPO 69
CA
SU 465 193
0601 15
Trees
Ancient yew trees in old church yard of St Mary, Bishopstoke. Planted 1694.     CA
SU 465 194
0601 07
Canal
Itchen Navigation. From Winchester to Southampton. 10.5 miles in length, dating probably from Roman times. In varying degrees the Itchen was used for navigation until C.19. Assumed something like its final form with fourteen locks, 2 single gates, a tide lock and a tow path from Winchester to Woodmill by 1710. In use until 1869. A visually attractive section lies between Hockley and Bishopstoke. Ref: PHFC 24 pp. 113-126 (1967) (E. Course).     CA
SU 465 189
0601 14
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Roman
Villa (site of)
Discovered c. 1908. Coffin found, now in Tudor House Museum, Southampton. Site under sewage works. OSA SU 41 NE 5. Ref: 1. OS 6' 1968. Ref: 2. Rec. 6' (O.G.S. Crawford 1934). Ref: 3. Corr. 6' (N. Cook 1949).     SU 466 183
0603 18
Coin
Small bronze coin of Claudius Gothicus. Now in store at Tudor House Museum. Found close to building site. OSA SU 41 NE 6. Ref: Corr. 6' (N. Cook 1949).     SU 466 180
0603 19
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church Road
Church (remains of)
C.14
St Mary, Bishopstoke. Site is indicated by turfed platform, contained by the red brick and flint foundation course of the nave and west tower. Tablet set in ground states a Church existed from Saxon times until 1891 and is mentioned in Domesday Survey. OSA SU 41 NE 1.     SU 465 194
0601 19
Previous page (Volume 13, Page 1) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 1) Next page (Volume 13, Page 4) Next page (Volume 13, Page 4)