Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 19 - Bursledon

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 17) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 17) Next page (Volume 13, Page 21) Next page (Volume 13, Page 21)

Situated less than 5 miles south east of Southampton on the west bank of the River Hamble. The name Bursledon occurs regularly from 1235 onwards as one of the tithings of Bishop's Waltham in the Court Rolls of the manor. The 12th century parish church lies in a wooded area overlooking the river, and has been carefully restored: it has an Early English chancel arch and a fine Norman font. The old village of Bursledon looks down onto the river but the modern housing development is scattered throughout the parish. Because of its favourable position, the old village was a natural shipbuilding centre in the days of wooden ships, and it is still a notable yachting centre.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Bursledon.

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 17) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 17) Next page (Volume 13, Page 21) Next page (Volume 13, Page 21)