Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 27 - Eastleigh

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 26) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 26) Next page (Volume 13, Page 29) Next page (Volume 13, Page 29)

Five miles north of Southampton on the west bank of the River Itchen. Eastleigh is called Estelei in the Domesday Book, and located in Mansbridge Hundred: its Saxon name was Eastlea in the survey attached to the charter by which King Athelstan granted land at North Stoneham to the Thegn Alfred in AD 932. The words lea, ley and leigh derive from the Old English leah meaning "a clearing in a wood" or "a glade".

The London and South Western Railway Company came to this area in the 1840s and built Bishopstoke Junction, now Eastleigh Station; this was followed in the 1880s by the removal from Nine Elms of the L.S.W.R. carriage and wagon works. From this time the town really began to grow, and in 1895 the Urban District Council was formed.

The name Eastleigh was chosen for the town by the authoress Charlotte Younge, when the Parish was created in 1868. "East" suggesting a rising sun, a rising faith and a rising town.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Eastleigh.

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 26) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 26) Next page (Volume 13, Page 29) Next page (Volume 13, Page 29)