Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 30 - Eastleigh

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 29) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 29) Next page (Volume 13, Page 31) Next page (Volume 13, Page 31)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Roman
Villa (site of)
Half a mile east of Swaythling Church on the banks of the canal. Excavations revealed wall foundation of Isle of Wight limestone, broken tiles and fragments of Samian ware. OSA SU41 NE 8. Ref: 1. OS 6' 1931. Ref: 2. PHFC 9 (1925) pp.398-9 (O.G.S. Crawford).     SU 452 162
0606 05
Post Norman
Manor House and Deer Park
The Manor of North Stoneham is mentioned at the dissolution of the Monasteries. Deer park owned by the Abbot of Hyde in C.14. Garden Temple built on site in 1818, demolished in 1968. OSA SU41 NW 19. Ref: 1. VCH (Hants) 3 (1908) pp.479-80. Ref: 2. Tour Round Southampton 1801 p.212. Ref: 3. Buildings of England (Hants) (Pevsner and Lloyd) p.359.     SU 440 173
0607 06
Earthwork (alleged site of)
Embankment and entrenchment. Probably of agricultural origin and possibly medieval. No visible trace remains. OSA SU41 NW 14. Ref: Rec 6' (O.G.S. Crawford).     SU 445 198
0605 06
Earthworks
Fragment of a bank on Cranbury Common was probably part of medieval coppice. Destroyed by housing development. OSA SU 42 SW11. Ref: 1. OS 6' 1930-38. Ref: 2. PHFC VI (1885-9) p.23. Ref: 3. Archaeology in the Field, 1953 p.194. (O.G.S. Crawford).     SU 434 181
0607 07
Enclosure
Circular cropmark reported by R.A.F. Pilot. No visible trace on ground. Probable mark of continuation of bank and ditch, of boundary of Stoneham Park. Centred on grid reference. OSA SU 41 NW 22. Ref: Rec 6' (O.G.S. Crawford).     SU 434 181
0607 07
Previous page (Volume 13, Page 29) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 29) Next page (Volume 13, Page 31) Next page (Volume 13, Page 31)