Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 37 - Fair Oak

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 35) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 35) Next page (Volume 13, Page 39) Next page (Volume 13, Page 39)

The name Fair Oak is reputed to have come from the fair held at the oak tree in the village centre; the original tree fell over a century ago but there is an oak tree standing in the centre of the village today. The church of St. Thomas was built in 1863 and in 1871 the ecclesiastical parish of Fair Oak was formed by separating Horton Heath, Crowd Hill, Lake, Stroud Wood and fair Oak from Bishopstoke. The parish is now a popular residential area and acts as a dormitory village for Southampton and Eastleigh. The population is now just over 8000.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Fair Oak.

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 35) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 35) Next page (Volume 13, Page 39) Next page (Volume 13, Page 39)