Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 45 - Hamble

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 43) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 43) Next page (Volume 13, Page 47) Next page (Volume 13, Page 47)

Situated some five miles south east of Southampton on a tongue of land between the Hamble River and Southampton Water. Hamble has been a yachting and boat building centre for centuries. Ships have been built here since the reign of Henry III, and in the 14th century Hamble was a more important trading centre than Portsmouth. The church of St. Andrew is of very early date, mostly Norman and Early English in structure. Hamble was once famous for its crab and lobster trade: the first Hamble Regatta was held in 1870 and has been held annually since then. During World War II the U.S. Navy prepared for the D-Day invasion in the Hamble estuary, and the hardened foreshore at Hamble village dates from this time: there is now a maritime training school on the Hamble River. There was also an important aircraft works established here during the First World War.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Hamble.

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 43) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 43) Next page (Volume 13, Page 47) Next page (Volume 13, Page 47)