Hampshire Treasures

Volume 13 ( Eastleigh)

Page 53 - Hedge End

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 52) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 52) Next page (Volume 13, Page 55) Next page (Volume 13, Page 55)

Situated 4 miles east of Southampton and immediately east of Botley parish. In the early 19th century there were only two or three cottages here, and now there is a considerable area of modern residential development. The population has risen rapidly to over 13,000 by the 1991 census. Hedge End was particularly noted for its market gardening, which supplied Southampton and was a major occupation of the area. The church of St John the Evangelist was built in 1874, and Hedge End was constituted a civil parish in 1894.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Hedge End.

Previous page (Volume 13, Page 52) Previous page (Volume 13, Page 52) Next page (Volume 13, Page 55) Next page (Volume 13, Page 55)