are many benefits to be had from developing a School Travel Plan, some
of which are listed below:
- Helps to improve accessibility to the school in a safer, healthier
and more sustainable way.
- Reduces traffic problems outside the school gates.
- Provides opportunities for learning.
- Improves relationships between all users of the school and the
- Contributes to environmental policy and school
- Helps gain accolades such as the Healthy Schools Award or the
Schools Green Flag Award.
- Can be used to bid for funding including that from the County
Councilís Safer Routes to Schools Programme.
- Contributes to the schoolís Safety Education programme.
The Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
commenting on school travel issues as part of its regular inspections. A
successful plan could enhance the reputation of the school (see
Curriculum Links for further information).
- Improves road and personal safety skills and increases travel
- Improves health and fitness through increased levels of
- Improves behaviour both in the school grounds as well as on the
journey to and from school.
- Increases knowledge and awareness of the local environment and
- May provide an opportunity for children to contribute directly
towards shaping their local environment.
- Provides a range of travel options for the school journey.
- Reduces driving stress and improves journey quality.
- Improves community awareness.
- Builds links between parents/guardians and the school as well as
- Allows parents/guardians to get involved with a school activity
and feel they have contributed.
- Enables parents/guardians to make more informed choices about
their childís school journey.
- Reduces the impact of the journey to school on the local community
especially for the local residents.
- Enhances partnership working by involving local stakeholders in
the preparation of the plan.