Travel to school by staff and others
conducting your school travel survey it is important that staff are
asked how they travel to and from school. It is also important to
look at visitor travel, particularly for community schools. By
providing staff and visitors with an opportunity to comment on
their experiences of the school journey and reasons for travelling
a certain way, schools will be able to identify solutions that
benefit the whole school community.
below are some ideas that you may wish to consider including in
your Action Plan:
- Encourage staff and visitors who live locally to walk or
cycle to and from school.
- Depending on the size and location of the school, think
about providing facilities such as showers and cycle lockers
- Encourage staff and visitors to make use of public
transport services. Schools could keep a supply of bus
timetables on display in reception areas.
- If you produce an information leaflet or prospectus, make
sure the ‘how to get here’ section includes all types of
travel, including walking, cycling and public transport.
- If car travel is necessary for staff, why not develop a car
share scheme by matching staff who live near each other and
those who work similar hours. This could be administered by the
school, or alternatively, you could sign up to Hampshire’s Car