Councillor Rob Humby, Deputy Leader of Hampshire County Council and Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, gave the go ahead for the scheme at his recent decision day.
He said: "Improving the A326 is a priority for the County Council, and we are working on technical studies to look at the options for major improvements at the northern end of the route. Any improvement proposals are likely to involve major upgrade works for the road, public transport, walking and cycling improvements, which will need significant Government funding. The work we are currently doing on studies and options should enable us to put forward a funding bid in due course. In the meantime, our team have also been looking at issues affecting traffic and transport around the southern Waterside area and on the A326 south of Dibden, particularly around capacity and how congestion can be reduced at peak times. This has enabled us to work with the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership to bring forward a number of modest improvements, which can be funded through the Solent LEP’s Local Growth Fund. The improvements include increasing capacity at these eight junctions, improving access for communities to areas of employment and education, while supporting the economic prosperity of the area.”
The £8.1 million scheme will increase capacity at the junctions that currently experience congestion and delays and will create a more resilient network that is better able to accommodate future growth in the area.
Solent Local Enterprise Partnership has provided £5.7 million towards the scheme and Fawley Waterside Limited, which has proposals to transform the old Fawley Power Station site into a thriving residential and commercial waterside community, has provided local match funding of £2.4 million.
The junction upgrades will be delivered in phases in an effort to minimise disruption to the travelling public.
Works are expected to start summer 2020 and are due to be completed in summer 2021.
The proposed junction improvement works are as follows:
Blackfield Road/Church lane/B3053, signalised junction proposed, including new crossing facilities;
- Long Lane/A326 (Holbury Roundabout), widening of approaches and exit lanes;
- A326/Holbury Drove, new southbound right-turn island including new pedestrian crossing facilities;
- A326/Southbourne Avenue, new southbound right-turn island;
- Hardley Roundabout, widening of approaches and exit lanes;
- Dibden Purlieu Roundabout, widening of approaches and exit lanes;
- Applemore Roundabout (Sizer Way) widening of approaches and exit lanes;
- Dibden Roundabout, Dibden Roundabout, widening of approaches and exit lanes and new pedestrian crossing.
- For more information visit the scheme web pages: https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/transportschemes/a326southfawleywaterside