Domestic abuse at Christmas – get help and support

With incidents of domestic abuse known to increase during the festive season, Hampshire County Council is reminding residents that help is available - whether you are concerned about your own behaviour, are being subjected to abuse or are worried about someone else’s behaviour or welfare

Dec 21 2023

Councillor Liz Fairhurst, Hampshire County Council’s Executive Member for Adult Services and Public Health, said: “While many of us look forward to spending time with friends and family at Christmas, for some, the festive season means spending more time experiencing abuse. Domestic abuse can impact anyone and may take several forms – from physical or psychological, to financial, emotional, or sexual. It can occur between family members or those who are or have been intimate partners. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, I urge you to reach out for support and contact Hampshire Domestic Abuse services in confidence.”

The County Council commissions a range of services from Stop Domestic Abuse and the Hampton Trust who work closely with individuals, families, the police and many other organisations to tackle abuse and create safer communities.

How to get help

  • If you or someone you know is affected by domestic abuse, seek help. Call the Hampshire Domestic Abuse advice line on 03300 165112.
  • If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. If you can’t speak and are calling on a mobile, press 55 to have your call transferred to the police. Find out how to call the police when you can’t speak.  
  • If you’re concerned about your behaviour towards someone else, help is also available. Call the Hampton Trust on 023 8000 9898.

Local data shows that in December there is an increase in domestic abuse-related crimes recorded by the police. In 2021, 18% of crimes were domestic abuse-related, but this rose to 20% in December. 

For confidential, free advice contact Hampshire Domestic Abuse services. Additional help and support can be found on the Government website.