“We recognise that Christmas is a time when waste increases significantly, so are looking for innovative projects that will help to reduce household waste over the festive period, but also be sustainable all year round.”
Hampshire County Council is offering grants of up to £5,000 to projects which will reduce household waste. The Waste Prevention Community Grant Fund has already supported nearly 30 projects to reduce household waste across Hampshire.
• Upcycling items of furniture or making items from unwanted wood into gifts;
• Christmas-themed swap events;
• Reusable gift wrap and gift wrap alternatives;
• Toy swaps/libraries;
• Schemes for redistributing unwanted gifts from the public;
• Rental of furniture for Christmas (dining tables, extra chairs etc) and other events throughout the year;
• Zero waste Christmas ideas, for example reusable gifts or experiences.
“Dealing with waste is a costly business for everyone and reducing the amount of household waste produced in the first place can make a big difference. We know that some of the best work in waste reduction goes on at a local level with groups sharing knowledge or providing facilities. We want to encourage these initiatives and inspire more. There is some great work going on, but I know that limited funding can sometimes prevent good work expanding, so I hope that community groups and other eligible organisations will be encouraged to apply to the grant fund to help them.”
For full eligibility criteria and more information on the Grant, including how to apply and videos of some of last year’s successful projects, visit: www.hants.gov.uk/waste-prevention-community
The fund is open to:
• Registered Charities;
• Schools, colleges and universities;
• Not-for-profit organisations (including social enterprises);
• Businesses with fewer than 250 employees, i.e. small and medium sized enterprises;
• Faith groups delivering community work;
• Parish Councils.
Although projects can be up and running for Christmas, they should ideally be adaptable so they can be sustainable