Paying for care

This information is to answer your queries about payments to or from the Council. It is for adults who are having their care fully funded or partly funded by us. See Adult social care for more about paying for care.

Your funding application

To check the progress of your application, you need to contact your Social worker who will be able to advise you.

How the fees are paid

If you are having a short stay in care or receiving care at home we will invoice you for the amount we have assessed you to pay. Invoices are normally sent out three weeks after the end of the month in which care was given.

If you had a new financial assessment, the invoice will be issued three weeks after the end of the month in which the assessment was finalised if this is later than the above. If the financial assessment took place in the last week of the month, the invoice may not be issued until three weeks after the end of the following month.

If you or your client has elected to pay the residential home direct, then it is up to the home when they send out their invoices. Check with the care home manager to find this out.

If you have any concerns about not having received an invoice, you can contact the Social Services Income Team on 01962 847636.

If you are going into a care home on a permanent basis you would usually pay your charge directly to the home. However, in some cases you can arrange to make payment direct to the County Council, either by setting up a standing order or by invoice each month.

If a third party is paying top-ups towards the care, this should be paid directly to the care home.

Benefit and pension payments

Regardless of the result of your financial assessment, your benefits and pension payments will continue to be paid directly to you.

Change in financial circumstances

You must contact Hampshire County Council to report any changes in your financial circumstances. This includes if you are/your relative is now below the upper savings limit.

Annual review letter

Once a year the contribution of every client must be reviewed and recalculated. This is due to changes to personal allowances and upper savings limit by Government and changes in benefit rates and other income.

If you receive an annual review letter when you haven't received care for some time, it is for information only. Should your care be reinstated within the following year you will be charged either your maximum contribution or the cost of your care (whichever is the lower).

Unpaid care home fees

If you have a resident that has not been paying their fees, email with this information:

  • client full name
  • Swift number
  • the amount of contribution that you have collected in total from admission onward
  • what actions you have already taken to try to collect the contribution.