Data protection

The County Council’s responsibilities under data protection legislation

The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.


Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:

  • used fairly and lawfully
  • used for limited, specifically stated purposes
  • used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • accurate
  • kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
  • handled according to people’s data protection rights
  • kept safe and secure
  • not transferred outside the European Economic Area without adequate protection

There is stronger legal protection for more sensitive information, such as: 

  • ethnic background
  • political opinions
  • religious beliefs
  • health
  • sexual health
  • criminal records

 Hampshire County Council will ensure that any personal or sensitive information given to them will be treated in the strictest confidence and it will always abide by the Data Protection Act 1998 and its eight principles.

View Hampshire County Council's Privacy Notice


All bodies (data collectors) that collect and use personal information have to be registered with the Information Commissioner's Office. Hampshire County Council's registration number is Z7534309.

View Hampshire County Council’s entry in the Data Protection Register
Data Protection Officer

If you have any queries or concerns about how the County Council is handling information, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer,

To make a request for information, view the Contact the Council page.

Senior Information Risk Officer (SIRO)

The Director of Transformation and Governance is the County Council’s SIRO. You can contact our SIRO at

The Information Commissioner's Office

The Information Commissioner gives advice and guidance to anyone who wishes to find out more about data protection. If you believe that your personal information is not being handled correctly and you have not received a suitable response from the County Council you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.