Book a Nationality checking appointment
The Nationality Checking Service is for people who are applying to become British citizens
It is now possible to apply for your British Passport at the same time as applying for British Citizenship. This initiative is in partnership with the Home Office.
Trained staff will check your application form to ensure it is correctly filled in and that all the required documents and fees are attached before the application is sent to the Home Office.
We can't offer immigration advice.
- Before booking an appointment
- You must have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or equivalent to make an appointment for NCS
- Check if you can apply to become a British Citizen
- Complete form AN
Application to naturalise as a British citizen
- For child applications (under 18) complete form MN1
Application to register child under 18 as British citizen
We do not provide you with a photocopy of your application form so make a copy before your appointment.
- What to bring
- Completed application forms for each person applying
- EEA Nationals must provide suitable travel documents/passports to support their application in regards to exercising their treaty rights. EEA nationals must also provide documentary evidence that they have completed the correct residency requirement
- Original pass notification letter for evidence of Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) - approved qualifications
- Passports/travel documents, including previous cancelled passports
- If you do not have passports or travel documents, P60s or letters from your employer, or an up to date letter confirming payment of benefits (or a combination of these)
- All certificates and documents should be originals with translations if not in English.
- Each application requires a photograph attached to the completed referee page
- If applicable to your application you will need to provide your marriage or civil partnership certificate
- If you are opting to have your passport application checked please see Section 4 below
Date NCS Passport Checking 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018 £75 £16
Fees apply to applications for adults and children.
The fee for your appointment is payable at the time of booking and is non-refundable.
You can pay by credit or debit card.
See Section 7 for full Terms and Conditions.
- Passport checking
This service costs an additional £16 per applicant and the fee will be taken during your NCS appointment. Applications must be made using the standard British Passport application form available from the Post Office. The key advantages of using the passport checking service are:
- we will check the accuracy of your passport application form
- you will not require a counter signature on the passport application form
- you will not have to attend a passport interview with the UK Passport Office
- your passport application will be processed as soon as you have attended a citizenship ceremony and you will receive your passport at home within 20 working days
If you are choosing to use the Citizenship and Passport Checking Service, follow the steps detailed below when completing your passport application:
- applicants should complete Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete Section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- the photographs submitted with both applications (3 in total) must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards as described in the accompanying guidance. The applicant's name and date of birth should be written on the back of all photographs
- Section 1: Any applicant within 6 months of their 16th birthday at the time of application must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2: Please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- Section 4: Grandparents’ details are not required
- if you are unsure about any requirements leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
Passport Application Fees
See GOV.uk - Passport Fees
Payment card details will be sent with your application.
- What happens next
Using the NCS service does not guarantee that your application for British Citizenship will be successful. The decision to approve your application is made by the Home Office.
The Home Office will write to you directly to advise you of the outcome of your application.
If your application for Citizenship is successful your British Passport will be posted to your home after you have attended a Citizenship Ceremony.
- Book an appointment
You can book an appointment online.
Alternatively you can book an appointment at a register office. Please telephone 0300 555 1392 (Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm).
- Terms and conditions
- Your appointment fee is paid to Hampshire County Council for booking a Nationality Checking Service appointment and is non-refundable
- The fee paid to the Home Office for your application is separate and does not include the Nationality Checking Service fee>
- Your fee cannot be refunded if you fail to attend your appointment; if you produce insufficient or incorrect documentation; or fail to meet the appropriate residency requirements and your application cannot be submitted to the Home Office
- If you are late for your appointment, it may not be possible to see you. You will need to book a new appointment and pay another appointment fee
- All applicants over the age of 18 must attend an appointment, complete the application form before the appointment and attend with all supporting documents, ready for photocopying by the NCS agent
- If you wish to move your appointment you must give 7 full working days notice, otherwise a full fee will be payable again. An appointment can only be moved once
- By booking an appointment you agree to all of the terms and conditions above (appointments booked on or after 1st September 2017)