Book a Nationality checking appointment
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) is for people who are applying to become British citizens and have completed a paper application only
If you are completing an online application for citizenship you cannot book an NCS appointment, however, you are eligible to use the Nationality Document Return Service.
During your NCS appointment trained staff will check your application form to ensure it is correctly filled in and that all the required documents and fees are attached before the application is sent to the Home Office.
We can't offer immigration advice.
You can no longer apply for a British Passport at the same time as applying for British Citizenship during your NCS appointment. If you wish to apply for Joint Citizenship and Passport you should apply online for Citizenship at GOV.UK Nationality - AN/MN1 and use our Nationality Document Return Service. Please call us on 0300 555 1392 to book an appointment or check our website for further information.
- Before booking an appointment
- You must have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or equivalent to make an appointment for NCS
- Check if you can apply to become a British Citizen
- Complete form AN
Application to naturalise as a British citizen
- For child applications (under 18) complete form MN1
Application to register child under 18 as British citizen
We do not provide you with a photocopy of your application form so make a copy before your appointment.
- What to bring
- Completed application forms for each person applying
- EEA Nationals must provide suitable travel documents/passports to support their application in regards to exercising their treaty rights. EEA nationals must also provide documentary evidence that they have completed the correct residency requirement
- Original pass notification letter for evidence of Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) - approved qualifications
- Passports/travel documents, including previous cancelled passports
- If you do not have passports or travel documents, P60s or letters from your employer, or an up to date letter confirming payment of benefits (or a combination of these)
- All certificates and documents should be originals with translations if not in English.
- Each application requires a photograph attached to the completed referee page
- If applicable to your application you will need to provide your marriage or civil partnership certificate
Date NCS 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018 £75 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 £77
Fees apply to applications for adults and children.
The fee for your appointment is payable at the time of booking and is non-refundable.
You can pay by credit or debit card.
See Section 6 for full Terms and Conditions.
- What happens next
Using the NCS service does not guarantee that your application for British Citizenship will be successful. The decision to approve your application is made by the Home Office.
The Home Office will write to you directly to advise you of the outcome of your application.
- Book an appointment
You can book an appointment online.
Alternatively you can book an appointment at a register office. Please telephone 0300 555 1392 (Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm).
- Terms and conditions
- Your appointment fee is paid to Hampshire County Council for booking a Nationality Checking Service appointment and is non-refundable
- The fee paid to the Home Office for your application is separate and does not include the Nationality Checking Service fee>
- Your fee cannot be refunded if you fail to attend your appointment; if you produce insufficient or incorrect documentation; or fail to meet the appropriate residency requirements and your application cannot be submitted to the Home Office
- If you are late for your appointment, it may not be possible to see you. You will need to book a new appointment and pay another appointment fee
- All applicants over the age of 18 must attend an appointment, complete the application form before the appointment and attend with all supporting documents, ready for photocopying by the NCS agent
- If you wish to move your appointment you must give 7 full working days notice, otherwise a full fee will be payable again. An appointment can only be moved once
- By booking an appointment you agree to all of the terms and conditions above (appointments booked on or after 1st September 2017)